Facebook Social Icon Twitter Social Icon You Tube Social Icon

You are here

Disposal Options

It can be difficult to dispose of some items. We encourage you to look for responsible options that help to protect the environment. We offer some advice here. Please call our office at 913-715-6907 if you have questions about any disposal.

Tree and Brush Debris

The first thing you should do is contact your City Hall office for disposal options. A few cities, such as Olathe, have a free drop-off location for tree limbs and brush if you reside in the city. Most cities will have disposal options for tree and brush debris following a major storm event. It can be hauled to the Olathe composting site. There is no charge for Olathe residents but there is a fee for non-residents. A landscaping company or waste hauler can pick up the debris for a fee. It can also be cut up or mulched and composted or used for landscaping. If possible, a brush pile can be open burned after calling the local fire department and/or JCDHE for an open burning permit.

Olathe Composting
Open Burning Information

Large Appliances

Many cities have special bulky item pickup events during the year. Your waste hauler usually has a bulky item pickup once a month or several times a year. The items can be hauled to the Johnson County Landfill or the Olathe Transfer Station within the County. Many bulky items may be recyclable. Visit MARC's RecycleSpot for recycling locations. Items can also be hauled to a reuse store such as Habitat for Humanity or Habitat Kansas City Restore. Large appliances with CFCs need special attention for proper handling of the Freon.


There are many tire dealers and auto shops that will take your waste tires. The Kansas Department of Health and Environment has many regulations regarding storage and beneficial use of waste tire on property located in Kansas. The Johnson County Household Hazardous Materials Program offers up free drop-off of up to five tires if the tires are from your personal residence with a scheduled appointment.

Electronic Recycling



Instead of collecting electronics at our Household Hazardous Waste facility, Secure e-Cycle, located nearby our HHW facility, will provide electronic recycling. They are open Monday - Friday from 9am - 3:30pm as well as the second Saturday of each month from March - October. There is no appointment necessary to drop off your material. The following charges will apply: 

  • Televisions under 31" - $25
  • Televisions over 31" - $35
  • CRT computer monitors - $10
  • LCD computer monitors - $5
  • PCs with data destruction - $5
  • Paper for secure shredding - $25 for the first box and $5 for each additonal box

Secure e-Cycle recycles and accepts any item with a cord except for items that contain Freon, and large appliance including deep freezers, refrigerators, and dehumidifiers. For a complete list of accepted items

Located just across the highway from our Household Hazardous Waste facility:
3052 S. 24th St., Kansas City, KS 66106
Monday-Friday 9am to 3:30pm
2nd Saturday of the month 8am to 11:45am (March-October)
(please note: Saturday is cash or check only)

Electronic Recycling Drop-Off Locations

There are several locations in Johnson County that accept electronic waste including old computers, TVs, stereos, or nearly anything with a cord. 

The Overland Park Recycling Center is currently accepting non-TV tube electronics. There is no charge for this service.

The City of Olathe accepts electronic waste free of charge from Johnson County residents at their Household Hazardous Waste Facility. By appointment only.

Goodwill Stores will accept all electronics that are still functioning. Use the Goodwill Locator to find a store near you.

Other businesses that accept electronic waste:

Secure e-Cycle
Secure e-Cycle is a Triple A rated electronic waste recycler. They accept drop-offs at their Kansas City, KS location and accept nearly any item with a cord; exceptions include large appliances and items that contain Freon. Charges apply for certain items.

MRC Recycling
MRC Recycling is a fully certified electronic waste recycler. They accept residential drop-offs at their Kansas City and Independence locations. Fees apply for certain items. 

Surplus Exchange
The Surplus Exchange has been recycling electronics for 25 years. They take e-waste from the public. They also will pickup e-waste from businesses. Charges do apply to some items. They are located in the West Bottoms of Kansas City.

Best Buy
Best Buy currently charges $25 per item for recycling TVs and monitors. Check out their website for a complete list of accepted items.

Office Depot
Recycle your electronics with Office Depot's Tech Recycling Program. Bring your items to a conveniently located Office Depot and an associate will help you box up your electronics, a small fee ($5-15) will apply.

Customers can recycle e–waste by simply bringing their used electronics to any U.S. Staples store. All brands are accepted, regardless of whether or not the equipment was purchased at Staples. A recycling fee of $10 per piece of large equipment is charged to cover handling, transport, product disassembly and recycling. Smaller computer peripherals such as keyboards, mice, and speakers are accepted at no charge.

RecycleSpot is an easy-to-use, comprehensive list of recycling and reuse services, including those that accept electronics and electronic media, in Greater Kansas City.

Sell It!

uSell is a website where you can find a buyer for your cell phone. You can also sell MP3 players, game consoles, e-readers, tablets, and cameras. Buyers have been screened and the offers are consolidated making it easy for you to find the best offer. Try it out now!

Electronic Waste Resources

Sustainable Management of Electronics- EPA

National Center for Electronics Recycling

Environmental Audits

Polluted CreekThe Environment Division maintains the most comprehensive site investigation database in Johnson County.  If you need to know the environmental history within and around a particular property, the following process is followed.

Submit a Letter of Request

Your letter needs to contain the following information:

  • Site address and/or 1/4 Section, Township, and Range.
  • Facility name and ownership of site in question
  • Map of site, if available, indicating the site location
  • Specify whether the audit is to be site specific or for the immediate vicinity

Submit Payment

A fee of $100.00 applies for each address requested. Letter of request and payment can be mailed to Johnson County Department of Health and Environment at 11811 South Sunset Drive, Suite 2700, Olathe, Kansas  66216. For credit card payment call 913-715-6915.

Receive Investigation Information

overturned truck with fire fighters on sceneUpon receipt of the letter of request and audit fee, we will search our Investigations database for all environmental events related to the specific site and, if requested, areas around the site.

When the search is complete, we will reply with a letter summarizing applicable investigation data.

Additional investigation related documents may be available from the city within which the site is located or the Kansas Department of Health and Environment. KDHE can be contacted at 785-842-4600.

If you have any questions about this service, please contact us at 913-715-6900.

Failing Systems

A failing system is any private sewage treatment system which, for any reason, does not function as designed or as prescribed by the Johnson County Environmental Sanitary Code.

What are the signs of trouble?

  • Foul odors in your home or yard tell you that your system is not working well.failing system
  • Slow or backed up drains may be caused by a clog in the house pipes, septic tank, soil absorption field, or roof vent for your sewer line.
  • Wet spongy ground or lush plant growth may indicate a leaky septic tank or failing soil absorption field.
  • Repeated intestinal illnesses in your family may occur if your water is contaminated by poorly treated wastewater. Have your drinking water tested annually for coliform bacteria and nitrates (for water wells or other private drinking source).
  • Algal blooms and excessive weed growth in nearby ponds or lakes can be caused by poorly treated wastewater discharging from septic systems.

File an online report of a failing sewage treatment system on this site.

Repair and Corrections

Any private sewage treatment system that is being repaired or replaced shall have plans and specifications submitted to and reviewed by the Environment Division of the Johnson County Department of Health and Environment (JCDHE). No repairs or corrections shall be performed without a permit and inspection as required by the Code. All repairs/replacements must be performed by an installer who has a current license with JCDHE. A list of licensed installers is available on this site. 

What's Involved?

failing systemThe county becomes aware of private systems in need of repair when the homeowner calls with concerns about their system, or when a concerned citizen calls and reports the problem confidentially. Either way, once the report is received, an initial visit is made to assess the situation and to gather all pertinent information. Once it is determined that a repair or replacement of the system is necessary, the homeowner will need to apply and pay for a soil profile. A letter will follow with recommendations regarding the repair/replacement. Before the repair or replacement begins, the homeowner will need to apply for a permit and a licensed installer must submit a drawing of the proposed replacement or repair. The homeowner will be notified when the permit is ready to be issued. There is a fee for the permit. Both a final construction and final grade inspection will must be completed and approved by JCDHE.

Why all the Fuss?

The mission of the Environment Division is to assist in the protection of the health, welfare and environment of the community through programs and activities that monitor, control, and/or eliminate harmful and potentially harmful environmental factors. Sewage is potentially very harmful if it is not treated properly.


Fire Departments

Before conducting any open burning operations you will need to contact your local fire department to find out what permits they require.

The telephone number for the Emergency Communications Center is 913-432-1717 or 913-826-1001.  You can call this number if no one answers at the fire station.  The telephone number for Johnson County Med-Act is 913-715-1950.

For emergencies, please call 9-1-1.

Bonner Springs Fire Department
Fax 913-422-7109
PO Box 38
Bonner Springs, KS  66012

Consolidated Fire District #2
Serving Northeast Johnson County
Fax 913-432-7867
3921 W 63rd St
Prairie Village, KS  66208

Fire District #2, County of Johnson, Kansas
Serving Johnson and Miami Counties including Spring Hill
Fax 913-681-2786
19495 Metcalf Ave
Stilwell, KS  66085

Johnson County Fire District #1
Serving Southwest Johnson County including Gardner and Edgerton
Fax 913-782-5709
490 New Century Pkwy
New Century, KS  66031

Lake Quivira Fire Department
Fax 913-631-5761
10 Cresent Blvd
Lake Quivira, KS  66217

Leawood Fire Department
Fax 913-681-2399
14801 Mission Rd
Leawood, KS  66224

Lenexa Fire Department
Fax 913-888-2143
9620 Pflumm Rd
Lenexa, KS  66215

Merriam Fire Department
Fax 913-322-5535
9000 W 62nd Terr
Merriam, KS  66202

Northwest Consolidated Fire District
Serving Northwest Johnson County including De Soto
Fax 913-583-1363
9745 Kill Creek Rd
De Soto, KS  66018

Olathe Fire Department
Fax 913-971-7982
1225 S Hamilton Circle
Olathe, KS  66061

Overland Park Fire Department
Fax 913-895-8465
12401 Hemlock
Overland Park, KS  66213

Shawnee Fire Department
Fax 913-631-1628
6501 Quivira Rd
Shawnee, KS  66216


Forms and Fees

The application needed can be found under the fees for that service. If you have questions, please call 913-715-6900.

Environmental Audit
Environmental Audit.......$100

Air Quality
Application for Open Burn Exemption

Hazardous Materials Disposal for Residents
All dropoff of household materials is FREE to Johnson County residents.
This does not include electronic waste. Any fees for e-waste are posted with event information.

Hazardous Materials Disposal for Business
Note: These fees are for the Conditionally Exempt Small Quantity Generator, Kansas Small Quantity Generator program. These fees are subject to change without notice. You must register for this program. Download the registration packet for more important details on pricing.
Fuels Blending (oil based paint, fuel, solvent based ink, thinners, paint strippers)........$4.00 per gallon
PCB Contaminated Material (small capacitors, ballasts, transformer oil)........Varies (per gallon)
PCB Contaminated Material (2,4,5-Trichlorophenoxy-acetic acid & esters, 2,4-diclorohenoxy-acetic acid & esters)........Varies
Mercury (elemental mercury or mercury salts)........Varies
Lab Pack - Corrosives........$1.02 per lb
Lab Pack - Pesticides, Herbicides........$1.80 per lb
Lab Pack - Oxidizers........$1.60 per lb
Lab Pack - Aerosols........90¢ per lb
Lab Pack - Organic Peroxides and Reactives........$6.60
Latex Paint (interior, exterior primer)........$3.00 per 5-gallon container
Latex Paint (interior, exterior primer)........60¢ per gallon
Uncontaminated Waste Oil (waste motor oil, transmission fluid)........Varies
CESQG, KSQ Waste Inventory Packet (includes price list)
CESQG, KSQ Application

Records Request
Open Records Request........50¢ per page
Public Information Request Form

Environmental Sanitary Code
Johnson County Environmental Sanitary Code

Swimming Pool and Spa Inspection
First Time Indoor Pool Permit  $410  Application
First Time Seasonal Pool Permit  $355  Application
First Time Whirlpool Permit  $200  Application
Swimming Pool Permit, annual renewal per site  $350  Application
Existing Pool, Spa, or Beach Modification Permit  $75  Application
Licensed Pool Operator, 3 year term  $95  Application
Pool Licensed Operator (PLO) Reference Material
CDC Fecal Incident Response
Rules for Pools

Septic Systems
Private Sewage Treatment System Installation Permit  $440  Application
Private Sewage Treatment System Permit for Significant Alteration  $390  Application
Commercial Sewage Treatment System Installation Permit $440  Application
Industrial/Commercial Sewage Treatment:
  Class A (potential of industrial/commercial wastes - serves 20 or more full time)  
     $190  Application 
Class B (domestic wastes only - serves less than 20 full time employees  
Industrial/Commercial Sewage Treatment Resale Inspection  $240 Application
Sewage System Installer License (annual)  $145  Application
Sewage System Designer License (two year term)  $290  Application
Sanitary Disposal Contractor License (annual)  $70 Application
Pumper Truck License, each truck (annual)  $260  Application
Soil Profile Analysis  $455  Application
Residential Sewage System Resale Inspection  $240  Application
Septic Locate Re-inspections for New Additions on Property $75  Application
Decommissioning a Septic Tank  $60 Application
Private Sewage Minor Repair Permit  $75  Application provided by inspector on site
2017 Licensed Septic Installer List (SIL)
2017 Licensed Sanitary Disposal Contractors (SSL)
2017 Licensed Sanitary Disposal Contractors for Portable Toilets

Solid Waste Management
Note: These fees are for initial and annual renewal of licenses and permits pursuant to the Solid Waste Code.
Solid Waste Incinerator........$26,000
Municipal Solid Waste Landfill........$26,000
Please call 913-715-6900 for application information for either of these above
Industrial Solid Waste Disposal Facility........$1,000
Reclamation Facility........$250
Solid Waste Processing Facility........$1,000
Permit Application for Operation of a Solid Waste Processing Facility
Construction and Demolition Landfill........$500
Permit Application for Operation of a Industrial, Demolition or Construction Landfill
Composting Facility........$250
Construction and Demolition Landfill with a Composting Facility........$750
Permit Application for Operation of a Composting Facility or C/D with Composting Facility
Tree and Brush Disposal Site........$250
Permit Application for Operation of a Tree and Brush Disposal Site
Materials Recovery Facility........$200
Application for Permit for Operation of a Materials Recovery Facility
Transfer Station (more than 20,000 tons per year)........$1,000
Transfer Station (20,000 tons or less per year)........$250
Permit Application for Operation of a Solid Waste Transfer Station
Solid Waste Hauler (1 to 10 vehicles used for residential collection)........$100
Solid Waste Hauler (11 to 50 vehicles used for residential collection)........$250
Solid Waste Hauler (Over 50 vehicles used for residential collection)........$500
Permit Application for Residential Hauler

Rabies Control
Specimen Shipping to Kansas State University (Monday-Thursday)........$90
Specimen Shipping to Kansas State University (Friday)........$105

Free Store

Why buy new when you can get usable products for free?

free household productsStop by the FREE Store at the Johnson County Household Hazardous Waste Facility. Residents, businesses, community groups, local government, and schools are all welcome.

It's FREE to the public, even to those living outside of Johnson County

There are a variety of usable products available:

  • Lawn and Garden Care
  • Wood Working
  • Home Improvement
  • Household Cleaners
  • Automotive
  • Arts and Crafts
  • And much more

No appointment is necessary to shop in the FREE Store. We are open Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday from 8-3pm

5901 Jim Bills Road
Mission, KS 66203
Just off Foxridge Dr. and Lamar

Free Store and Paint programRe-blended Paint  Program

Usable latex paint that is dropped off at the Household Hazardous Waste facililty is processed on site and made available to residents, community groups, and others looking for latex paint.

Johnson County Re-blended Latex Paint comes in shades of white, beige, grey, and brown; available in 5 gallon buckets.

Note: Starting January 1, 2015 we will begin charging a nominal fee for the purchase of 5 gallon buckets of our re-blended latex paint. Prices are still well below retail. All sales are final. CHECK & CARD ONLY. NO CASH.Quantity, and color of paint are not guarranteed please call 913-238-6882 for more information


!!! Important !!! There will continue to be NO CHARGE to drop off latex paint or any other household hazardous waste product for recycling. All items available in the FREE Store will continue to be FREE.

Get Certified

The R5 Certified Program is a voluntary and non-regulatory program that provides free education and technical assistance on a variety of environmental issues to businesses, schools, and places of worship in Johnson County. The primary goals of this program are to increase recycling, improve energy efficiency, and decrease waste, and ultimately save your organization money and resources.

Your organization may be eligible for up to $500 in materials to support your waste diversion projects. Funds are limited, contact Sadie Gardner to learn more: 913.715.6923

Five Steps to becoming R5 Certified:

  1. Get Started -- SIGN UP NOW!!
    We have a team of experienced waste reduction experts who will get you on the path to becoming R5 Certified. Find out what you can do to save money and resources. Fill out this form to sign up for our R5 Certified Program.

  2. Waste Walk-Through
    Schedule a FREE waste walk-through with our expert team. This is a non-invasive facility tour where our staff will ask questions about your current practices and identify areas for recycling, efficiency, and cost savings.

  3. Implement Recommendations: Following your Waste Walk-Through, our team will provide you with resources and recommendations for greening your business. You can then select recommendations that work for you; implement and save. We will be there to help you along the way.

  4. Track Savings
    We highly recommend that you track before and after records of strategies that you implement so you can see the difference your efforts are making. You can also brag about the savings to your coworkers and customers.

    Become R5 Certified: By meeting minimum qualifications you will receive public recognition, a certificate and decal to display at your business. You will also be recognized at our annual R5 Certified Reception. Not to mention the reduction in waste, disposal costs, increased efficiency, and hopefully cost savings you will experience along the way.

Take a look at the R5 Certified Application: For more information contact Sadie Gardner our R5 Certified Program manager: 913.715.6923

In order to maintain certification, you must continue to comply with the core criteria and complete at least one new elective criterion from each category every year. Johnson County staff will follow-up annually to ensure that they continue to meet the certification criteria, to encourage further improvement, and to lend assistance in overcoming technical issues and challenges.


Help Reduce Ozone

grandmother and grandsonGround-level ozone impairs breathing, irritates the lungs, causes scar tissue in the lungs, and damages vegetation. Those most at risk are people with asthma, emphysema, heart conditions, as well as children, elderly, and healthy adults engaged in vigorous work or exercise outdoors. On high ozone concentration days, everyone is at risk.

The Clean Air Act requires EPA to set air quality standards to protect both public health and the public welfare, e. g., crops and vegetation. Ground-level ozone affects both.

The EPA website has an on-line course for health professionals titled "Ozone and Your Patients' Health" that has information everyone can use as a resource to learn about the health effects of ground-level ozone. 

What You Can Do to Help

Each individual contributes to the formation of ground-level ozone, as well as industrial and commercial entities, and with simple efforts, each person can help reduce the emissions of harmful pollutants. Air-friendly tips are typically money saving and time saving tips, too!

In Your Car:

  • Drive less by combining trips and planning in advance
  • Bike, walk or ride the bus when possible.
  • Keep personal vehicles well-tuned and tires inflated properly. You can save up to 20% on the amount of gasoline you use.
  • Pressure check vehicle gas caps annually and replace when necessary. A faulty gas cap can allow up to 30 gallons of fuel per year to evaporate.*
  • Refuel as late in the day as possible (after 7 pm preferably), especially on ozone alert days.
  • Stop at the click. Don't top off your tank when you refuel. This keeps harmful fumes from being forced into the air.

*Note:  A faulty gas cap can allow up to 30 gallons of fuel per year to evaporate. At today's prices which can climb over $3 per gallon, you could be wasting over $90 per year compared to a new gas cap which only costs around $10! JCDHE checks gas caps at various public events, including Earth Day at Shawnee Mission Park and at AquaFest in Olathe.

At Work:

  • Allow and promote teleconferencing instead of driving to meetings. If you must drive, carpool when possible.
  • Bring your lunch, carpool or walk to lunch, especially on ozone alert days.
  • Inquire about flexible work schedules that would promote driving less, such as the four day work week.
  • Commute in style: bike, walk, carpool or take public transportation to work. Get in some exercise, good conversation or a little reading in the process!
  • Purchase and use low-volatile organic compound (VOC) paints, solvents, pesticides, etc.
  • Select printing companies that use soy-based inks or other low-emissions print processes.

At Home:

  • Reduce the amount of energy you use at home. Most of this area's electricity comes from coal-fired power plants that significantly contribute to ground-level ozone.
  • Purchase ENERGY STAR equipment.
  • Use compact fluorescent light bulbs. Turn off lights and appliances when they are not in use.
  • Adjust the thermostat to a slightly higher setting in summer and consider installing a programmable thermostat.
  • Avoid chemicals that contain volatile organic compounds (VOCs) such as spray paint, paint thinners, glue solvents, and pesticides.

In the Yard:

  • Mow as late as possible, preferably after 7 pm, when there is less sun and heat.
  • Replace older gas cans with new "no-spill" gas cans for refueling equipment. Emissions from gasoline spills are major contributors to ozone and spilled gasoline costs you money.
  • Practice low-maintenance lawn care, requiring less frequent mowing and less inputs of polluting chemical pesticides.
  • Consider replacing any gasoline powered equipment with electric, batter or manual powered equipment.
  • Convert lawn spaces to native plants to reduce the amount of mowing and watering.
  • Avoid open burning.

On The Grill:

  • Do not use lighter fluid. It pollutes on both evaporation and burning. Your food will taste better without it, too!
  • Use a charcoal chimney instead of lighter fluid to start the coals. They are easy to use and leave no telltale taste in the food.
  • Choose briquettes that are additive-free and avoid any added chemicals flavors  to the food.
  • Gas grills emit less pollution than charcoal grills.
  • Postpone grilling until evening on ozone alert days.


In the Bin

Your source for what can and can't go in your recycling bin and how you can recycle more

Are you confused about what can go in the bin? Ask Greta or check out more information below. We are also available to talk with your homeowner association or community group.

Featured Questions

Item In The Bin

Why can't Styrofoam go in the recycle bin?


Plastic bottle caps on or off?

bottle caps

How clean does it need to be?

peanut butter jar

What can I do with glass?

glass bottles and jars


What can & can't go in my recycle bin and how can I recycle more

Item Accepted in your curbside recycle bin More Info

Plastic Bottles & Containers

plastic bottles for recycling

Yes Recycle empty plastics such as bottles, jars, jugs, and tubs. Keep your plastic bottle caps on, they can be recycled too. Containers containing syringes or sharpes are not allowed in your recycle bin and belong in the trash.

Paper, Flattened Cardboard & Paperboard

paper and cardboard


Yes Recycle paper, newspapers, junk mail, and magazines. Flatten and recycle all cardboard and paperboard. No receipts.

Food & Beverage Cans

cans for recycling

Yes Recycle all empty tin, aluminum, and steel cans.



Yes Empty cartons are now accepted in your curbside recycle bin. Juice pouches are not accepted at this time. To find out more information on carton recycling in your area check out the Carton Council.

Pizza boxes (without food and grease)

pizza box

Yes, if there is no grease or food Clean pizza boxes without food or grease are accepted in your curbside recycle bin. If your pizza box has food waste on it tear off the top for recycling and throw the rest in the trash.

Egg cartons

plastic egg carton

Yes, only plastic egg cartons Plastic egg cartons that are clean can be recycled in your curbside recycling bin. Paper and Styrofoam egg cartons are not recyclable and need to be disposed of in the trash.


bottles and jars

No, but they can be recycled Glass bottles and jars are not accepted in your curbside recycle bin, but there are many options for recycling your glass. Ripple Glass operates the purple community recycle bins seen throughout Kansas City. There are also several companies that provide curbside glass pickup, including: Atlas Glass, KC Curbside Glass, and Glass Bandit.

Plastic bags

plastic bags

No, but they can be recycled Plastic bags, food storage bags, newspaper and dry cleaning bags, and product wraps are not accepted in your curbside recycling bin. However, they are recyclable and can be returned to several area grocery stores. For more info on recycling options in your area go to Plastic Film Recycling.org

Packing materials, bubble wrap, and packing peanuts

packing materials and bubble wrap

No, but they can be recycled Packing materials, bubble wrap, and packing peanuts are not accepted in your curbside recycling bin but they are recyclable. Several area stores will accept these items if they are usable. For those options check out Recycle Spot.

Shredded paper

shredded paper

No, but it can be recycled Shredded paper is not accepted in your curbside recycling bin, because it can blow around and is not easily processed in a recycling facility. However, you can recycle shredded paper with a number of area businesses who provided shredded paper disposal. For these options check out Recycle Spot.

Aluminum foil

aluminum foil

No, but it can be recycled Aluminum foil is not accepted in your curbside recycle bin. For community recycling centers in your area that may accept aluminum foil check out RecycleSpot.



No, but they can be recycled If the mattress is still usable donate it to Sleepyhead Beds, they provide usable mattesses to kids and families who are in need. If your mattress is no longer usable, recycle it with Avenue of Life, who use recycling to create jobs for individuals with barriers to employment.



No, but they can be recycled Electronics should not be put in the trash; there are several options available for recycling your old electronics. Johnson County Government accepts electronics at the Household Hazardous Waste site during our 2nd Saturday Events which run from March thorugh November. RecycleSpot is a great resource for finding the closest location to recycle near you. The City of Overland Park recycling center and the City of Olathe HHW facility also accept certain electronics.  

Textiles and clothes

used clothes

No, but they can be recycled While not accepted in your curbside recycle bin, textiles and clothes can still be recycled. If these items can't be donated at any number of locations including Goodwill. For locations where you can recycle unusable textiles near you, check out Recycle Spot.

Plastic utensils, plates and straws
plastic utensils

No Plastic utensils, plates, and straws are not accepted in your curbside recycling bin. These items are made of a low-grade plastic and belong in the trash after use. Compostable utensils and cups can be composted through composting operations such as Missouri Organic Recycling but they do not decompose in backyard compost bins.

Food wrappers

food wrappers

No Food wrappers such as chip bags, candy wrappers, ketchup packets, etc. are not recyclable in your curbside recycling bin and belong in the trash. These items are often made of a combination of materials which make it difficult to separate for recycling.

Single serve coffee cups & plastic lids

coffee cup

No Paper coffee cups often have a plastic or waxed coating that does not break down during the recycling process at paper mills. The plastic lids used on these type of coffee cups are also not recyclable in your curbside bin, even though they have a recycling symbol on them.



No K-cups and other similar single serve cups are not recyclable due to the combination of materials they are made from. These items should be disposed of in the trash.

Paper napkins, towels and tissues

paper towells

No Paper towels, napkins, and tissues are not accepted in your curbside recycle bin and belong in the trash. Consider using cloth napkins and towels for a waste-free alternative.

Paper plates and cups

paper plates

No Paper plates and cups are coated in a plastic or wax material that will not break down during the recycling process, and are not accepted in your curbside recycling bin. Consider using reusable plates and cups as a waste-free option.

In the Classroom

Trashology 101: Waste Reduction for Grades 3-5

The Health and Environment Department has created an educational curriculum on waste management called Trashology 101. The new curriculum is targeted to students in grades 3-5 (ages 8-11) and their teachers, families, youth-serving organizations such as scout groups, recreational clubs, and faith-based organizations.

Through Trashology 101, young people will learn how they are connected to the environment, how solid waste management impacts the environment, and how they can personally make a positive impact in their school, home and community.

Download Trashology 101
Lesson Plan
Module 1
Module 2
Module 3
Module 4

Trash Talk and Recycling Road Show Presentations

Is your group or club ready to jump into recycling and learn more about reducing waste? The Environment Divison staff are available to give presentations on the exciting world of waste, recycling and composting. We can talk to your city, community group, church, classroom, neighborhood association, business green team, or any other type of group. Keep in mind you need to allow for at least 20 - 60 minutes for our talk.

Commercial Assistance Program- Up to $500 in supplies

Schools are eligible for FREE waste consulting services, along with assistance of up to $500 in supplies to support a diversion program including but not limited to reduction, recycling, and composting. Our staff have worked with many schools to start programs from scratch, or expand on current efforts. We have a variety of resources and lessons learned from other schools that can be shared with you.

Each school must complete a waste assessment by Johnson County staff prior to requesting assistance. Partners will submit an application and each request will be evaluated and approved by staff. Aprroved assistance will be given on a first come, first serve basis to partners based upon identified needs and recommendiations by staff. SIGN UP NOW!

If you would like more information, please email Sadie Gardner or call 913-715-6923

Kansas Green Schools

The Kansas Green Schools Program provides educational opportunities for preK-12 schools that increase awareness and understanding of environmental interrelationships that impact public health and our society, and that promote responsible environmental stewardship practices.

Their goal is to foster an appreciation and understanding of air and water quality, climate change, energy, reduction and recycling of solid waste, and wildlife habitat.

Grants are available annually for green projects.


Environmental Complaints

Business hours for our office are 8am-5pm Monday-Friday.

If you believe the incident requires immediate response outside of business hours, but is not life-threatening, report it by calling our 24-hour response service at (913) 715-6900 and following the prompts in the message.

If you believe the incident is life-threatening, please call 9-1-1.

If the incident involves a chemical or petroleum product spill, gasoline odors inside buildings, or natural gas odors, please call 9-1-1.

We can only respond to swimming pool complaints if the facility is located within Leawood, Lenexa, Merriam, Mission, Olathe, Prairie Village, Roeland Park, Shawnee, Spring Hill, Stilwell, and Westwood.

Note: No personal information will be released. If you choose not to enter your name please enter "No Name". Providing your contact information as well as an address where the incident occurred are required for us to respond to this complaint. Your information will not be shared.

Submit an Enviromental Concern:

Please provide your preferred form of contact, either email address or phone number. This information will not be shared.
Providing an accurate location is necessary for us to respond to this issue. This can be a street address, cross streets, or a business name.

Please provide a detailed description so that we can respond appropriately.

Enter the characters shown in the image.

Upcoming Events

| View All
May 3, 2017 | 10:00 am to 6:30 pm

Walk-in Health Clinic Hours

May 9, 2017 | 9:00 am to 3:00 pm

Kansas Infectious Disease Symposium

May 10, 2017 | 10:00 am to 6:30 pm

Walk-in Health Clinic Hours

May 10, 2017 | 6:00 pm to 9:00 pm

Solid Waste Management Committee Meeting

May 13, 2017 | 8:00 am to 11:30 am

Household Hazardous Waste & Electronic Recycling Event