What is Household Hazardous Waste?
DANGER! CAUTION! WARNING! POISON!
If a product's label has any of these signal words, then the product has ingredients that contain one or more of the following hazardous characteristics: corrosive, reactive, toxic, flammable, or explosive. If not safely stored, used, or disposed, the product can present hazards to you and your environment. A full list of materials that we accept is listed below.
Common Materials Accepted at the Hazardous Materials Collection Facility:
- Arts and Crafts Materials
- Automotive fluids i.e. brake fluid, antifreeze, etc.(Do not bulk fluids together)
- Car Batteries
- Cleaning Products
- Cooking Oil
- Fluorescent Light Bulbs and Tubes (Pack separate from other items to avoid breakage)
- Gasoline (Do not mix with other automotive fluids other than 2-cycle oil)
- Lawn and garden chemicals
- Motor Oil - limit 5 gallons per month (NO TRANSFORMER OIL)
- Paint (latex and oil based)
- Photo Chemicals
- Pool Chemicals
- Rechargeable Batteries
- Solvents, i.e. Paint Thinner, Acetone, Kerosene
- Tires (Limit 4 per month, other drop off options can be found at RecycleSpot)
- Wood Preservatives
- 1-3 lb. Propane Cylinders
If you have questions about other accepted materials, please call our office at 913-715-6907. We will be happy to answer your questions.
If you don't see an item on the approved list, then it is probably not accepted at our facility. However, there are could be other options for recycling or disposal. To find disposal options closest to you go to: RecycleSpot