In order to practice extreme caution during this time, JCDHE will not be accepting any new requests for internships, shadowships, or interviews (in-person and phone). All community presentations will be cancelled or postponed until further notice. We encourage you to check this page often, as the information may change as needed.
The Johnson County Department of Health and Environment (JCDHE) offers a variety of unpaid internships to perpetuate the role of the public health professional and free presentations to the community in a variety of public health topics.
JCDHE interns uphold the Core Competencies essential to Johnson County employees (accountability, communication, customer focus and public relations, initiative, safety, and teamwork) and the Core Competencies for Public Health Professionals developed by The Council of Linkages Between Academia and Public Health Practice (http://www.phf.org/resourcestools/pages/core_public_health_competencies.aspx.) A Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) is required for placement within our department. Space is limited.
Presentations are provided by our experienced staff for the purpose of engaging partners across multiple sectors to generate collective impact within our community. Phone interviews can also be scheduled for added flexibility and will be handled on a case-by-case basis. Additionally, information sessions/tours of our (Olathe-based) facilities can be provided for you to learn more about JCDHE programs and services.
A brief list of our programs and services are listed below by division. Please refer to our detailed list to better assist you in your search to find the right fit for your needs.
- Child Care Licensing: licensure of child care facilities and school inspections.
- Community Health: chronic disease prevention, nurse family partnership, outreach nurse program, targeted case management, Safe Kids Johnson County, sexual violence prevention, WIC, and food policy.
- Health Services: disease containment, immunizations, women's/men's health, prenatal services, labs, and public health emergencies.
- Environmental Health: air quality, household hazardous waste, on-site wastewater treatment, pools, recycling, and solid waste.
- Strategic Planning: accreditation, quality improvement/innovations, epidemiology, and workforce development.
- Medical Examiner’s Office: NA
- Business Operations: NA
- Student Request Form
- Instructor Request Form (for student placement)
- Presentation Tour Interview Request Form
Contact Us: For additional questions, please e-mail the Education Coordinator.