Protection Orders

Protection from Abuse and Protection from Stalking, Sexual Assault or Human Trafficking Orders

The Victim Assistance Unit has a staff of advocates who assist victims through the protection order process. The advocates also provide assistance in crisis intervention, offer resources, referrals to social service agencies and safety planning.

The Victim Assistance Unit is available Monday through Friday from 8:00am to 5:00pm and can be reached at our General Line 913-715-3004. We provide assistance for filing Protection from Abuse Orders and Protection from Stalking, Sexual Assault or Human Trafficking Orders by:

  1. Referring applicants to the Kansas Protection Order Portal website:
  2. Forwarding Protective Order forms via email allowing the applicant to review and/or download hardcopy forms if needed.

If you qualify for one of these orders, you will need to allow two hours to complete the entire process.  If you do not complete the paperwork by 3:00pm, your order will be reviewed the next business day. The outcome of your protective order filing will be emailed to you by the Civil Clerk’s Office which can be reached at 913-715-3400 if you have any follow-up questions.


To qualify for a Protection from Abuse Order

  • You should have some affiliation with Johnson County, Kansas.
  • You MUST have lived with or have a child in common or have been in a dating relationship with the person whom the order is against.
  • There MUST be physical abuse or threats of physical abuse.
  • You MUST provide the name of the person and a service address (physical street address) of the person the order is against.

A Protection from Abuse Order is a civil order that offers additional relief

  • Restrain the defendant from contacting you in person and the workplace.
  • Restrain the defendant from your residence.
  • Give temporary custody of the children to you.
  • Order the defendant to pay child support or support of spouse/alimony.
  • Arrange for the return of your property.

To qualify for a Protection from Stalking, Sexual Assault or Human Trafficking Order

  • You should have some affiliation with Johnson County, Kansas.
  • You MUST have TWO or MORE separate threatening or harassing incidents that places a reasonable person in fear of their safety or ONE incident of sexual assault or ONE incident of Human Trafficking.
  • If filing for a minor, the stalking incidents MUST have occurred in Johnson County, Kansas.
  • You MUST provide the name of the person and a service address (physical street address) of the person the order is against.

Additional Information


If your abuser violates the protection order, it is important that you call the police and report the incident. You may be required to show the protection order paperwork to the police. The order will be enforced if the police are aware that there is a violation.

Safety Planning

Developing a safety plan may help lessen the possibility of danger or harm to you or your children. However, a safety plan is not a guarantee that you will be safe.  It is important to consider all the dynamics of the relationship and information you know about the abuser. Furthermore, it is important to share your safety plan with your children, family members, friends and neighbors. Do not tell your abuser about your plan to leave.

If you are planning to leave:

Prepare a bag with the following items and store it where you can grab it and go or you can store the bag with someone you trust.

Items to pack and reminders:

  • Marriage and driver’s license
  • Birth certificates
  • Cash, checkbook, credit and debit cards, car title and mortgage payment book
  • Social Security cards, work permits, passports, and green cards
  • Divorce, custody, protection from abuse or restraining order paperwork
  • School and health records
  • Keys (house, car, office, friends), cell phone and a charger
  • Medications, glasses and hearing aids
  • A change of clothes plus extra underwear and socks
  • Personal items (toys for the children, address book, jewelry, Mace spray)
  • Other important family documents or possessions

Remember to:

  • Open a personal savings account and rent a post office box
  • Have your mail forwarded
  • Have a planned route to exit the house

Home Safety

If the abuser does not live with you:

  • Contact your local police and request extra patrol.
  • Change the locks on the doors and check windows for easy entry.
  • Consider a security service, window bars or increased outside lighting.

If the abuser is present and an abusive incident occurs:

  • Move to a room with an exit.
  • Stay away from the kitchen where sharp utensils can be used as weapons.
  • Move to a room with a phone or where you can safely call 911.
  • Grab your packed bag of essentials for yourself and your children.
  • Identify and use a code word to let family and friends know to call 911.
  • Know your destination after you leave the house.

If you choose to stay or return:

  • Tell a neighbor, family and friends to call the police if they believe you are in danger. Share your code      word with them so you can call or text them to call the police without the abuser knowing.
  • Program emergency phone numbers into your phone.
  • Keep a packed bag of your essentials ready in case you need to leave quickly.

Safety with Children

As part of the safety plan:

  • Teach your children a code word. Show them when and how to call 911. Reassure them that it is proper to call the police when they are scared.
  • Inform the schools and daycare who has permission to pick the children up. Provide them with a copy of the protection or restraining order. If possible, provide them with a photograph of the abuser.
  • Choose a public place when complying with a visitation order.

Job Safety

If you feel it is safe:

  • Inform your supervisor about your situation and if you have filed a Protection from Abuse Order. Discuss safety precautions at the workplace.
  • Contact security and provide them with a photograph of the abuser.
  • Provide your supervisor and/or co-workers with a code word to alert them when to call the police.
  • Screen your calls.
  • Make a safety plan for when you arrive and when you depart from work. Try to take various routes to and from work.
  • Request an escort to your car, if available.
  • If you and the abuser work at the same company, discuss possible changes to your work schedule.


Safehome is the local domestic violence shelter in Johnson County, Kansas. Safehome provides a 24-hour Hotline, a safe and confidential place to stay, counseling, court advocacy and legal services. The Safehome staff can offer information to assist in answering questions you may have concerning your immigration status.

Safehome – please call 913-262-2868 or 1-800-799-SAFE. (7233)

Kansas Legal Services, is a statewide non-profit corporation that is devoted to helping low income Kansans meet their basic needs through the provision of important legal and mediation services. Kansas Legal Services will refer a lawyer that is knowledgeable about domestic violence to discuss custody, visitation and divorce provisions to protect you and your children.

Kansas Legal Services – please call 913-621-0200 for referrals.

Disclaimer: Please make sure that you note the following important information. The only forms that are accepted to apply for Protection from Abuse and Protection from Stalking, Sexual Assault or Human Trafficking Orders are the ones provided by the Johnson County District Attorney’s Office.

The District Court Help Center – available 8:00AM to 5:00PM in person, by phone 
(913) 715-3385 or via e-mail at The Help Center provides Valuable information, forms and computer access for anyone needing or thinking about requesting Protection Orders .