The Johnson County Household Hazardous Waste facility is still open and taking new appointments. We continue to do all we can to maintain a safe experience for both staff and residents. If you do make an appointment please be aware of the following:
- Masks are required at all times when at the HHW site, including the Free Store and Paint room.
- HHW staff are wearing masks and continue to wear safety gloves and other ppe.
- Residents are required to stay in their cars while dropping off waste. Johnson County staff will unload your vehicle.
- Paint can still be purchased through our paint recycling program but residents must follow social distancing guidelines, and only one resident at a time will be allowed to purchase
- Drop-offs are conducted in the open air and not in a confined spaces
The Free Store is currently open with the following conditions:
- Masks must be worn at all times
- One resident at a time in the Free Store
- If there are multiple cars waiting, residents need to stay in their vehicles until the store is empty
- 10 item maximum per resident
- Residents need to only touch the items that they will be taking
- Doors to the Free Store will remain open during business hours, depending on the weather
2020 2nd Saturday Collection Events are done for the year, they will resume next March and run through October.
By Appointment Only:
Schedule or modify an appointment now
Note: There is no charge to use this drop off service. Johnson County residents only.
If you have questions about our HHW program call 913-715-6907.
5901 Jim Bills Rd., Mission, KS 66203
Just off Foxridge Drive and Lamar
Located within the Nelson Wastewater Treatment Plant.
Follow the posted directions at the gate, once the gate opens follow the yellow line and yellow directional signs that will lead you to the facility.
NOTE: Gates will not be opened until 8am. Please do not pull up to the gate prior to 8am.
Other HHW Disposal Options
The City of Olathe operates a collection facility that currently accepts items from all Johnson County residents. This may be a more convenient option if you live in southern Johnson County. Go to City of Olathe Household Hazardous Collection Facility to learn more. Several other surrounding counties offer Household Hazardous Waste collection. RecycleSpot has information on other area programs.
Hours- For drop-off, FREE Store, and purchasing paint
BY APPOINTMENT ONLY -- schedule here
Open Monday, Wednesday, Thursday from 8am-3pm (closed for lunch between 12-1pm. This is for all drop off appointments, FREE Store, and purchasing paint.
Important things to note:
- Open the second Saturday of each month, March-October from 8-11:30am
- Gates will not be opened until 8am
- Mobile pickup is available to home-bound residents. Call 913-715-6907 for more information
Shop for free at our FREE Store where you can find all sorts of good quality usable products for your next project or household need. And did we mention they are FREE. Items include but not limited to: oil, household cleaners, stains, and car care products. Open Monday, Wednesday, Thursday from 8am-3pm (closed for lunch between 12-1pm)
Re-Blended Paint for Sale
We sell quality re-blended latex paint in 5 gallon buckets. Re-blended paint for sale. Open Monday, Wednesday, Thursday from 8am-3pm (closed for lunch between 12-1pm)
Note: Re-blended paint is not for resale or commercial use
IMPORTANT!! There will continue to be NO CHARGE to drop off latex paint for recycling or for all other items from our FREE Store. These changes only apply to the recycled paint we redistribute.
Note: During our 2nd Saturday of the month Household Hazardous Waste collection events (March-October) Secure e-cycle will be accepting electronic waste at their facility located near the Household Hazardous Waste facility at: 3052 S. 24th St. in Kansas City, Kansas 66106. Charges apply for TVs, computer monitors, and towers: TVs under 31" ($25), TVs over 31" ($35), CRT computer monitors ($10), LCD computer monitors ($5), and PC with data destruction ($5). Proshred will also be available for paper shredding and they charge $25 for the first box and $5 for each additional box. For more information on other electronic recycling options check out our Electronics page or go to RecycleSpot.org
Business, School, and Non-Residential Waste
We also accept waste from businesses, churches, and schools. Interested parties must apply and disposal fees will be assessed based on the type of chemical and current disposal methods.