Facebook Social Icon Instagram Icon Twitter Social Icon You Tube Social Icon

How do I get a refund for a current tag or plate that was on a vehicle I recently sold?

If you have recently sold a vehicle with a current tag or plate, you may be eligible for a refund of the unused portion of registration and property tax. Refunds will be given starting the next full month after the tag or plate and all documents are submitted.

I have changed my last name, what do I do next?

When a person changes his or her last name, an update is made both to the title ownership and the vehicle registration. This might affect your registration renewal month and could mean that you would owe additional property tax and fees.

If you do not have a lien holder, you need to surrender your current title. If you have lost your title, you may order a replacement title. There is a $10.00 fee and you will need to  fill out this application in order to request a new one to be sent to you.

What can I mail in or drop off?

To renew your registration by mail you may send a check, money order or cashier’s check in the envelope provided with your renewal notice, along with valid proof of insurance. Applications for lien releases, disabled placards, duplicate or secured titles (with payments) and refunds can be dropped off or mailed to either of our Motor Vehicle Offices for processing.

What if I gift a vehicle to an individual?

If a vehicle is gifted to an individual, the title needs to be assigned to the individual and the Vehicle Gift Certification section of the Affidavit To A Fact needs to be filled out.

What if I buy a vehicle from a relative?

  • If a vehicle is purchased from a family member, a Relationship Affidavit needs to be completed. Depending on the relationship, this may allow sales tax not to be collected on the purchase price of the vehicle at the time of registration.

How do I get a disabled parking placard?

Who should I make my check payable to?

When paying fees, the check can be made payable to Johnson County Motor Vehicle.

What are the fees for paying online, by phone, or by credit card in the office?

  • To view the current credit/debit card and echeck convenience fees for all online payments, please go to Online Tag Renewal
  • If you are paying in person by credit or debit card at either the Olathe or Mission location, the fee will be as follows:
    • 2.6% of total transaction for all card types, with a $3.00 minimum (subject to change).

What payment types are acceptable?

  • When titling and registering, you may pay a registration fee and sales tax on a new or used vehicle, along with personal property taxes.
  • You may pay your tag registration using cash, check (with valid driver's license and daytime phone number), money order, cashier's check, or credit/debit card (Visa, MasterCard or Discover). There will be a service fee charged by the payment processor for using a credit or debit card.
  • If you are registering more than one vehicle, you may combine to make one payment.