Facebook Social Icon Instagram Icon Twitter Social Icon You Tube Social Icon

Residents asked to use 9-1-1 for emergencies; report power outages to utility companies

With the potential for severe weather due in the region later today, Johnson County Government officials ask residents to be mindful of when to call 9-1-1 emergency dispatchers and to report service outages directly to utility companies.

“Residents are asked to report power outages, arcing wires in trees and other non-emergency incidents directly to their power company,” said Ellen Wernicke, director of Johnson County Emergency Management and Communications. “We ask that residents refrain from calling 9-1-1 unless there is a threat to safety.”

Residents are asked to call 9-1-1 to stop a crime, to report a fire, to save a life — or when assistance is needed by law enforcement, fire or emergency responders.

Call 9-1-1 any time you believe there is an actual emergency. Emergency responders want to be notified of any immediate threat to life, safety or property. Downed power lines could create a hazard if power is live or power returns.

When you call 9-1-1 to report an emergency, the dispatcher is attempting to obtain:

  • Where is this happening?
  • When did this happen?
  • What is happening now? Why?
  • Who is involved?
  • Is anyone injured?

If you accidentally dial 9-1-1, stay on the line and explain to the dispatcher. Otherwise the dispatcher will call you back.

Reporting utility outages

Residents are asked to contact their utility providers directly to report outages and other non-emergency incidents. Contact information for gas, electricity and water service providers can be found online and on social media channels.

Kansas City Power & Light customers can report outages by phone at 1-888-LIGHT-KC and view a map of power outages on KCP&L’s website.

Westar Energy customers can report outages by phone at 1-800-LIGHT-KS and view an online map of Westar service outages.

WaterOne customers can report service issues to a 24-hour emergency customer service number at 913-895-1800.

Kansas Gas Service customers can report natural gas odor or emergencies at 1-888-482-4950.

Monitor weather forecasts

Residents are asked to monitor severe weather forecasts by watching local weather reports or through public weather resources.

The National Weather Service’s Kansas City office publishes timely, relevant weather updates on Twitter and Facebook and at weather.gov/kc.

Residents are asked to follow Johnson County Government on Twitter and Facebook for severe weather updates.

Media Contacts

Lori Sand
Senior Public Information Officer
Office: 913-715-8572
Cell: 816-560-6713

Jody Hanson
Director of Public Affairs and Communication
Office: 913-715-0730
Cell: 913-626-5482