Facebook Social Icon Instagram Icon Twitter Social Icon You Tube Social Icon

How do I get a copy of a Death Certificate or Birth Certificate?

The telephone number for the KDHE Vital Statistics is 785-296-1400. Walk-in Customer Service hours are from 9:00 am – 4:00 pm CT and telephone service hours are 8:00 am – 5:00 pm CT, Monday through Friday, except holidays. The telephone service is automated with a directory to provide options for accessing recorded information for requesting certified copies, inquiring about the status of previously submitted requests, or speaking with a staff member, if other assistance is needed.

Birth, death, marriage & divorce records--vital records --in Kansas are not public records. Certified copies of vital records are released to the person named on the record, the parents or immediate family member, a legal representative, or anyone who can prove a direct interest, such as a named beneficiary or someone who jointly owns property with the person whose record is requested. The record must be necessary for the determination of personal or property rights. Proof of legal representation, direct interest, or written authorization is required.

The Office of Vital Statistics is located in Suite 120, Curtis State Office Building, 1000 SW Jackson, Topeka, Kansas, 66612-2221. The building is southeast of the Capitol building. The phone number is 785-296-1400, FAX 785-296-8075. Click here for a downtown Topeka map.

You may also email [email protected] for additional information.



Question Category: