Johnson County’s Executive Airport Taxiway Alpha officially open for use
$4 million in improvements funded 100% through federal grants
As a complement to the new runway at Johnson County Executive Airport, and in partnership with the Federal Aviation Administration, the Johnson County Airport Commission celebrated the opening of the newly rebuilt Taxiway Alpha on Wednesday, Dec. 22. This project required complete removal and replacement of the aging taxiway, along with a three-inch mill and overlay. The lights were replaced with brighter and more visible LEDs, and new lighted signage was also installed.
Taxiway Alpha was designed by Burns & McDonnell, with construction completed by Emery Sapp & Sons.
Taxiway Alpha is the second of three major taxiways or runways to be fully reconstructed due to the previous infrastructure surpassing its expected service life. The Airport Commission opened the primary runway on Nov. 22, 2019, and Taxiway Bravo is expected to be rebuilt in summer 2022.
The three improvement projects cost approximately $15.5 million. Runway 18/36 was were funded 90% through the Federal Aviation Administration Airport Improvement Program grant, with the remaining 10% from Johnson County Airport Commission Enterprise Fund match. Taxiways Alpha and Bravo were funded 100% by the Federal Aviation Administration Airport Improvement Program grants.
A breakdown of total costs for each project:
- Runway 18/36 - $5.6 million
- Taxiway Alpha - $4.2 million
- Taxiway Bravo - $5.7 million
"These improvements reaffirm the county’s commitment to provide safe airport infrastructure for the local aviation community." said Aaron Otto, Johnson County Airport Commission Executive Director. "By utilizing federal funding opportunities, we are able to ensure our airports remain vital parts of the community and the regional economy and can continue to operate as the busiest airport system in the state of Kansas."
History of Johnson County Executive Airport
Originally named Morse Field, Johnson County Executive Airport was constructed in the early 1940s as a Naval auxiliary field during World War II in support of the Olathe Naval Air Station, which is now New Century AirCenter. The airport was deeded to the City of Olathe in 1951, and from the city to Johnson County in 1967. At that time, the Board of County Commissioners created the Johnson County Airport Commission to manage, operate and improve the airport.
In 2020, Johnson County Executive Airport and New Century AirCenter had more than 102,000 combined flights making the Johnson County facilities the busiest airport system in the state of Kansas by more than 20%.
For additional details on the Johnson County Executive Airport, visit jocogov.org/ExecutiveAirport.