JCPRD weekly program highlights: Aug. 21-27
For more information or to register online for the programs listed here, visit JCPRD.com/Register and complete a search for any of the activity numbers listed below. To register by phone, call 913-831-3359. For all in-person programs, physical distancing and COVID-19 safe practices will be encouraged.
A reminder that while JCPRD’s 50 Plus programs are primarily for people who are age 50 or older, interested parties who have not yet reached that magic age may still be able to attend. Persons 18 and older who are interested in a 50 Plus class are invited to call the 50 Plus Department at 913-826-2975 for space availability.
Here's a sampling of programs JCPRD has coming up for the week of Aug 21-27:
Aug. 22, 26 - Gymnastics: Indoor Playground (Ages 1-5)
- Mill Creek Activity Center, 6518 Vista Dr., Shawnee, 11 a.m. to noon, $5 per person - Indoor Playground incorporates fun-filled playtime with obstacle courses and play gym equipment. Children up to five years of age will have the opportunity to focus their energy while developing strength and agility. Parent/legal guardian will be asked to sign a waiver and an adult must be present with their child at all times. Activity number 22031. Call 913-826-2950 for any questions. Friday session on Aug. 26, activity number 22032.
Aug. 23 - Day Trip: Saint Mary’s and Museums (Ages 50 & Older)
- Departs from Antioch Park, 6501 Antioch, Merriam, 7 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., $98 per person - Travel to Nemaha County in Seneca, Kan., and tour a handful of museums including the County Museum, The Fire Department Museum, The Temple of Honor, and one of the largest hand-dug wells. After lunch, enjoy one of Eight Wonders of Kansas-Art, St. Mary's Church at Saint Benedicts. This guided tour will leave you in awe of the beautiful stained glass, architecture and artwork. Activity number 21631.
Aug. 24 - Early Learning: Kulinary Kids (Ages 2-6 with an Adult)
- Meadowbrook Park Clubhouse, 9101 Nall Ave., Prairie Village, 1 to 1:45 p.m., $10 per person, $11 nonresidents - Get hands on with food in a fun way. Families will prepare three kid-friendly snacks together. Receive a cookbook to take home to continue the fun. Activity number 21924.
Aug. 24 - Games: Family Feud™ (Ages 50 & Older)
- Roeland Park Community Center, 4850 Rosewood Dr., Roeland Park, 1:30 to 3:30 p.m., $5 per person, $6 nonresidents - Meet new ‘family’ members and compete against fellow 50 Plus participants in our silly rendition of Family Feud™! Everyone will get a chance to play and laugh. The team with the most points wins a prize. Activity number 21747.
Aug. 25 - Day Trip: A Rare Day Indeed (Ages 50 & Older)
- Departs from Antioch Park, 6501 Antioch, Merriam, 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m., $79 per person - Visit the Kansas City Public Library’s Central Library in downtown Kansas City, Mo., for a guided tour featuring the original bank vault, and current exhibits. Hear about the history of the decline of banks in the downtown area as they gave way to the library district, and learn about the rich architecture of the building. Finish with a tour of their collection of rare books and artifacts that live onsite. After, tour the Money Museum at the Federal Reserve. Lunch included. Activity number 22475.
Aug. 26 - Movies in the Park: “A Bug’s Life” (Rated G)
- Meadowbrook Park, 9101 Nall Ave., Prairie Village, movie starts between 8:15 and 8:30 p.m., depending on sunset, FREE thanks to the support of The Parks & Recreation Foundation of Johnson County, Arvest Bank, and JE Dunn - Eighth of 11 through Oct. 28 - When a bumbling ant accidentally destroys his colony's food supply, he recruits a band of insect circus performers to help fight off an army of greedy grasshoppers. This is a fun and updated take on Aesop's fable "The Ant and the Grasshopper."
Aug. 26 - Preschool: Little Hulas (Ages 2-5)
- Meadowbrook Park Clubhouse, 9101 Nall Ave., Prairie Village, 10:30 to 11:30 a.m., $7 per person, $8 nonresidents - Take a tropical trip to the Clubhouse. Enjoy a morning of flowers, games, music, snacks and a craft! Activity number 21940.
Aug. 26 deadline - games begin week of Sept. 18 - Volleyball: New Century Fieldhouse Fall (Grades 7 & 8)
- New Century Fieldhouse, 551 New Century Parkway, near Gardner, Game times vary, 5 sessions, $80 per person - Teams will practice one night a week at New Century Fieldhouse beginning Sept. 6, and will play doubleheaders over five Sundays for a total of 10 matches. League registration includes a t-shirt, which will serve as the team uniform. Shorts, socks, knee pads, etc. will be the responsibility of each family. Players who have friends that sign up can be placed on the same team. Parents who volunteer to coach and are selected as a head coach, will receive 50% off their child’s registration fees. For 7th Grade, activity number 22683; and 8th Grade, activity number 22683. Please go to JCPRD.com/youthsports for further info or call 913-826-2850 with any questions.