The site features the limestone Lanesfield School, a visitors center with exhibits and a museum store, and a covered picnic shelter. Adjacent to the site is a 79-acre prairie, owned by Kansas City Power and Light.
Built in 1869, the school is the only standing structure from Lanesfield, Kansas. The town served as a mail stop on the Santa Fe Trail, identified with a 1906 Daughters of the American Revolution marker. A 1858 pre-Civil War skirmish also took place in the area between Missouri Border Ruffians and Free-State Kansans, led by General James H. Lane, the town’s namesake.
Adjacent to the Lanesfield Historic Site is a short nature trail, owned by the Kansas City Power and Light Company. An observation tower provides a birds-eye view of the skirmish site between the Free-State Kansans and the Missouri Border Ruffians.