One of the first Johnson County Library branches to open was in Prairie Village. Although the voters had approved establishing the Library the year before, funding was not yet available. Volunteers in 1953 opened a branch in the Prairie Village Shopping Center. It was in donated space in the basement of a shop with donated books, shelving and other furnishings. By 1956 funding was available and a professional librarian was hired. The branch moved above ground to a rented storefront on the Concourse.