The Johnson County Department of Health and Environment is the lead agency for Safe Kids Johnson County. The program is affiliated with Safe Kids Worldwide, the first and only national organization dedicated solely to the prevention of unintentional childhood injury - the number one killer of children ages 14 and younger.
Safe Kids Johnson County is comprised of agencies, organizations, and businesses within Johnson County who work to prevent unintentional injury in children.
Objectives of Safe Kids Johnson County include:
Educating the public about preventing childhood injury.
Promoting ongoing awareness of injury prevention issues through the local media.
Organizing activities highlighting various injury prevention strategies such as:
- Child Passenger Safety Seats Check-Up Events: Trained child safety seat technicians adjust/install car seats properly while teaching parents/caregivers the basics about how to install a car seat at home. Please call (913) 477-8312 for more information about the next Child Passenger Safety Seat Check-Up Event.
- Child Passenger Safety Technician training.
- Bike Rodeos/Bike Helmet Fitting Demonstrations: Activities that promote wearing helmets and wearing them correctly, as well as learning the safety rules of the road.
- Home Safety: Information and events on topics such as: choking, poisoning, water and fire safety.
- Sports Safety: Information and education on participating in sports injury-free.
- Celebrate National Safe Kids Week in May with events, activities and information on preventing unintentional childhood injury.
- Community injury prevention education for professionals, parents, daycare providers, and other caregivers.
Upcoming Community Events:
Child Passenger Safety Seat Fittings and Installations - Locations in Johnson County
Toy and Shopping Safety
Child Passenger Safety:
Hyperthermia Safety Information:
Sports Safety Information:
Water Safety/Boating Safety Information:
Medication Safety Information:
Product Recalls/Used Children's Products:
IIHS Boosters improve: Most new seats provide good belt fit: Two Safety 1st models are not recommended as boosters
Trouble in Toyland
AAP News, Prevent burns, fires when using space heaters
MMWR, Suffocation Deaths Association with Use of Infant Positioners – United States, 1997-2011
MMWR, Years of Potential Life Lost from Unintentional Injuries Among Persons Aged 0-19 years – US, 2000-2009