Facebook Social Icon Instagram Icon Twitter Social Icon You Tube Social Icon


Phone: 913-715-8500

11811 S. Sunset Drive, Suite 2500, Olathe, Kansas 66061

You are here

Industrial Pretreatment: Authorization and Permits

Pretreatment Forms

Three types of permits or authorizations are available for wastewater disposal to the sanitary sewer system. The appropriate permit or authorization for your wastewater disposal is determined by an evaluation of duration of the disposal, the significance of the disposal upon the sanitary sewage collection system or receiving wastewater treatment plant, applicability to Johnson County's Prohibited Discharge Standards and/or the industrial wastewater discharge categorical standards established in the Code of Federal Regulations (40 CFR 403 through 471).

Special Wastewater Disposal Authorization (SWD) is issued to industries having a need to dispose of wastewater generated from non-routine activities or unforeseen events.

  • The disposal of this wastewater is typically a one-time event.
  • A Special Wastewater Disposal Request must be submitted.
  • If approved, a Letter of Authorization with disposal conditions specific to the event will be issued.
  • A SWD is valid for one year from the date of issuance.
  • Upon completion of the discharge event, the applicant must submit a letter summarizing the event.
  • There is a fee charged for a Special Wastewater Disposal Authorization.

Long-Term Wastewater Disposal Authorization is similar to a SWD, but does not automatically expire after one year.

  • The disposal will occur over an extended period of time.
  • The disposal activity:
    • will not have a significant impact upon the sanitary sewage collection system and/or the receiving wastewater treatment plant.
    • does not fall under a categorical standard specified in the Code of Federal Regulations.
    • does not warrant wastewater monitoring by the control authority.
  • Long-Term Authorizations are non-expiring, unless
    • the wastewater flow and/or characteristics change significantly or
    • the discharge is subsequently determined by the control authority to present a concern to the collection system or treatment plant.
  • Upon termination of the discharge, the industry must submit a Letter of Notification.
  • There is a fee charged for a Long-Term Discharge Authorization.

An Industrial Wastewater Discharge Permit (IWD) has stipulations which are different from those outlined in the previous authorizations.

  • An IWD is issued when:
    • an industry has been determined to fall under one or more of the categories specified in the Code of Federal Regulations.
    • the wastewater discharge has been determined to have the potential of significantly impacting the sanitary sewage collection system and/or wastewater treatment plant, or
    • is otherwise deemed necessary by the control authority.
  • An Application for an Industrial Wastewater Discharge Permit must be submitted.
  • A Signature Authorization Form must be submitted along with the application.
  • A draft permit with requirements specific to the industry's wastewater discharge, including wastewater monitoring and reporting requirements, will be sent to the industry for review and comment.
  • The final permit will be issued 30 days following the issuance of the draft permit.
  • An IWD is valid for five (5) years from the date of issuance. Then it must be renewed.
  • There is a fee charged for an Industrial Wastewater Discharge Permit.