Facebook Social Icon Instagram Icon Twitter Social Icon You Tube Social Icon

Treasury and Financial Management

You are here

Vehicle Renewals

Kansas law requires that a motor vehicle must be annually registered and display a tag or plate along with the corresponding decals. Motor vehicles cannot be legally operated without a current tag or plate.

To renew your vehicle tag or plate you are required to pay a state registration renewal fee and county personal property taxes annually. In return, you will receive a decal to be placed on your tag or plate. As a courtesy, Johnson County will mail a vehicle registration renewal notice to you approximately 30 days prior to expiration. This notice will also be available online at https://www.mailserviceslc.com/ebp/jcomve/login.  When you receive your notice(s), please verify the accuracy of the information provided.

To renew your vehicle plate or tag you must provide valid proof of insurance from a Kansas agent on the vehicle being registered. Be sure to include this if mailing or if renewing in person. Copies are acceptable.

Renewal Schedule

License plate renewals are based on the first letter of the registered vehicle owner's last name.

First letter of your last name:

  • A | Last day to renew - February 28th
  • B | Last day to renew - March 31st
  • C, D | Last day to renew - April 30th
  • E, F, G | Last day to renew - May 31st
  • H, I | Last day to renew - June 30th
  • J, K, L | Last day to renew - July 31st
  • M, N, O | Last day to renew - August 31st
  • P, Q, R | Last day to renew - September 30th
  • S | Last day to renew - October 31st
  • T, V, W | Last day to renew - November 30th
  • U, X, Y, Z | Last day to renew - December 31st

Valid Proof of Insurance

Kansas law requires that each motor vehicle carry a valid insurance card from a Kansas agent with the following elements as proof of insurance; name of insurer, name of insured party, policy number, effective date, expiration date, to include current date, vehicle description and vehicle identification number or VIN.

Kansas law requires that you carry “Kansas no-fault liability insurance” on any vehicle except a motorized bicycle so that, in case of an accident, the other vehicle and its passengers are protected.

Payment Methods

  • Renew online, not in line with Online Tag Renewal. To renew online using a credit card or by eCheck you must have your PIN number located on your vehicle registration application. Please allow 5 to 7 business days to receive your registration receipt and decal by mail. Please remember to save your confirmation number. There will be a convenience fee charged by the payment processor for this service. Some registrations may not qualify for electronic renewal.
  • Renew by Mail. To renew by mail you may send a check, money order or cashier’s check in the envelope provided along with valid proof of insurance. Please do not send cash in the mail. You may write one check if renewing multiple vehicles. Please allow 5 to 7 business days to receive your registration and decal by mail.
  • Renew in Person. To renew in person you may use cash, credit card (Visa, MasterCard or Discover), check (with valid id), money order or cashier’s check and must go to either the Mission or Olathe motor vehicle office. There will be a convenience fee charged of 2.6% of the total transaction amount, with a $3.00 minimum (subject to change) by the payment processor for using a credit or debit card.   Please visit our Frequent Questions section for more payment information. Beginning January 1, 2015, an additional fee of $5.00 will be applied to each vehicle being renewed in-person.  You cannot register, renew or title your vehicle(s) at the Treasurer’s office located in the County Administration Building in Olathe. Since the renewal due dates fall on the last day of the month and because of customer volume, the best time to renew your vehicle is in the middle of the week and during the middle of the month. During the end of the month waiting times can exceed several hours.

There will be a $30.00 service charge per each returned check.

Commercial Vehicles

If you are renewing a commercial motor vehicle, there may be additional documents required. 

A commercial vehicle is any self-propelled or towed motor vehicle in commerce that is used to transport property or passengers when the vehicle:

  1.  Has a gross weight or gross combination weight of 10,001 pounds or more;
  2.  is designed or used to transport 15 or more passengers, including the driver; or
  3.  is used to transport hazardous materials in a quantity requiring placarding.

Please visit our Commercial Vehicles page for more information.