Facebook Social Icon Instagram Icon Twitter Social Icon You Tube Social Icon

Treasury, Taxation, and Vehicles

You are here

Vehicle Registration

Kansas law requires that a vehicle must be registered and display a tag or plate along with the corresponding decals.

New Residents

Motor vehicle registration is required within 90 days of the date of establishing a Kansas domicile or residence, whether owning, renting or leasing. Once a vehicle is registered the owner is responsible for the annual renewals prior to expiration.

  • To register your vehicle for the first time, Review the Title Drop off Service Application for New Residents.
  • If you have an out-of-state title, you are required to obtain a VIN Inspection.  For more information, please see the 'Vehicle Inspection Information' section below.
  • To register your vehicle you must provide valid proof of insurance from a Kansas agent or Kansas no-fault liability insurance from an out-of-state agent on the vehicle being registered.

Established Residents

Motor vehicle registration is required within 60 days of the date the vehicle is purchased, which is the assigned date on the certificate of origin or title. A temporary or 60 day tag must be displayed on the motor vehicle until you receive your plate or tag at the time of registration. A temporary or 60 day tag may be obtained from a Kansas Auto Dealer or from the Mission or Olathe motor vehicle office. A valid plate or tag from a sold or traded-in motor vehicle may also be displayed within 60 day of the date the vehicle is purchased. If not registered within 60 days interest and penalties may apply.

  • To register your vehicle you must provide valid proof of insurance from a Kansas agent on the vehicle being registered.
  • To register your vehicle you must also refer to Vehicle Titling.

Once a vehicle is registered the owner is responsible for the annual renewals prior to expiration.

Required Documents

  1. Ownership Document - Manufacturer’s Statement of Origin (MSO) or Title
  2. Sales Tax Receipt - If vehicle is purchased from a registered Kansas Dealer sales tax should be collected by the Dealer. The Dealer will provide the proof of paid sales tax receipt to the owner. If the vehicle is purchased from a non Dealer or an out of state Dealer this document will not be required and sales tax will be collected at the time of registration.
  3. Valid Proof of Insurance - Kansas law requires that each motor vehicle carry a valid insurance card from a Kansas agent with the following elements as proof of insurance; name of insurer, name of insured party, policy number, effective date, expiration date, to include current date, vehicle description and vehicle identification number or VIN. Kansas law requires that you carry “Kansas no-fault liability insurance” on any vehicle except a motorized bicycle so that, in case of an accident, the other vehicle and its passengers are protected.
  4. Bill of Sale - If the motor vehicle is purchased new, the receipt must come from a Kansas Auto dealer. If the vehicle is purchased from an auto dealer outside Kansas, a bill of sale for sales tax purposes is needed. Sales tax rates are available from the Kansas Department of Revenue.
  5. Power of Attorney - To title and register a vehicle jointly (Jane AND John Doe), both owners must be present. If both owners are not able to be present, then you will need to have the other owner fill out a Vehicle Power of Attorney. The motor vehicle can be titled and registered by only one owner if the owners are listed as (Jane OR John Doe)

Vehicle Inspection Information

Kansas law requires the Kansas Highway Patrol to inspect vehicles that were previously titled in another state to verify the identification number or VIN number on the vehicle is genuine and agrees with the VIN on the out-of-state title. The inspection is required prior to the owner applying for an original Kansas title.

Vehicles that have been issued a Kansas non-highway title or Kansas salvage title, as well as vehicles that have been assembled or are homemade, are also required to be inspected. The inspection may required additional documentation regarding the history of the various parts used in the assembly and/or repair of the vehicle.

For more information, location times or additional inspection locations visit www.KansasHighwayPatrol.org.

The following items must be presented to complete the inspection:

  • Vehicle, Title and/or supporting documents (salvage, owner retain salvage, assembled vehicles)
  • Valid Driver’s License for person presenting vehicle for inspection
  • Inspection Fee (Payable by cash (preferred), check, Visa or MasterCard)
    • $20 for regular MVE-1 inspection
    • $25 for salvage/prior or rebuilt salvage

Vehicle Inspection Locations and Phone Numbers:


Payment Information

When titling and registering, you may pay a registration fee and sales tax on a new or used vehicle, along with personal property taxes.

You may pay your tag registration using cash, check (with valid driver's license and daytime phone number), money order, cashier's check, or credit/debit card (Visa, MasterCard or Discover). There will be a convenience fee charged of 2.6% of the total transaction amount, with a $3.00 minimum (subject to change) by the payment processor for using a credit or debit card.  Please visit our Frequent Questions section for more payment information.

If you are registering more than one vehicle, you may combine to make one payment.

There will be a $30.00 service charge per each returned check.

Commercial Vehicles

If you are registering a commercial motor vehicle, there may be additional documents required. 

A commercial vehicle is any self-propelled or towed motor vehicle in commerce that is used to transport property or passengers when the vehicle:

  1.  Has a gross weight or gross combination weight of 10,001 pounds or more;
  2.  is designed or used to transport 15 or more passengers, including the driver; or
  3.  is used to transport hazardous materials in a quantity requiring placarding.

Please visit our Commercial Vehicles page for more information.

Get In Line at Motor Vehicle

Reserve your spot


Reserve Now



Reserve Now


Information Disclaimer Page

Johnson County makes every effort to produce and publish the most current and accurate information possible. This public information is furnished as a public service. The information must be accepted and used by the recipient with the understanding that the data was developed and collected for the purpose of automating our customer line management system.

Estimated wait times may vary based on the number of customers who place themselves in line online and who walk-in to our offices.

This online service may open and close throughout the day based on the number of customers to be served in line. Our walk-in office hours at both Mission and Olathe DMV are Monday thru Friday 7:30 am - 4:00 pm, excluding county designated holidays.

Standard text messaging rates may apply when using this service.


Página de Denegación de Información

El condado de Johnson hace cada esfuerzo para producer y publicar la más reciente y exacta información possible. Esta información es publicada como servicio a la comunidad. Esta información tiene que ser aceptada y utilizada por el recibidor con el entendimiento de que los datos fueron desarrollados y fueron reunidos para el propósito de automatizar nuestro sistema de gestión de línea de cliente.

Los tiempos estimados de espera pueden variar basado en el número de clientes que se colocan a sí mismo en la línea por medio del Internet y por quienes tienen acceso directo a nuestras oficinas.

Este servicio en línea puede abrir y cerrar a través del día (durante el día) basado en el número de clientes que se atienden en línea. Nuestras horas de oficina con acceso directo en la oficina de Mission y también en Olathe departamento de Automóviles son Lunes a Viernes 7:30am – 4:00pm, excluyendo días de vacaciones designado por el condado de Johnson.

Cargos por Mensajería estándar de texto pueden aplicar cuando se utiliza este servicio.