Facebook Social Icon Instagram Icon Twitter Social Icon You Tube Social Icon

Treasury, Taxation, and Vehicles

You are here

New Kansas Resident

Transferring Title & Registration from Out of State

Motor vehicle registration is required within 90 days of the date of establishing a Kansas domicile or residence, whether owning, renting or leasing. Once a vehicle is registered the owner is responsible for the annual renewals prior to expiration.  

To register your vehicle for the first time in Kansas, Review the Title Drop off Service Application for New Residents and completely fill out the application sections.  Gather all required documents as outlined in the application and put all original documents in an envelope addressed to Johnson County Motor Vehicle. 

Please note, Kansas requires a Vehicle Inspection be completed prior to titling and registering your vehicle with the Motor Vehicle office. See below Vehicle Inspection Information to learn more about how to complete a VIN inspection. Once completed, include the inspection form with all other required documents and the Title Drop off Service Application in the envelope. 

Take your envelope with all the required documents and place it in one of our convenient and secure drop off boxes located outside of our Motor Vehicle Office front entrances:

  • Mission Motor Vehicle: 6000 Lamar Avenue, Mission, KS 66202
  • Olathe Motor Vehicle: 782 N Ridgeview Rd, Olathe, KS 66061

You can also mail envelopes to Johnson County Motor Vehicle at 6000 Lamar Ave., Suite 100, Mission, KS 66202.

Your registration receipt with decal, invoice with amount due and payment instructions, and license plate (if applicable) will be mailed to the address listed on  your application within 14 days from the date all documentation was submitted.  If any additional information is needed, we will email the contact listed on the application. 

If you have questions about this process, please review our Frequent Questions page.

Vehicle Inspection Information

Kansas law requires the Kansas Highway Patrol to inspect vehicles that were previously titled in another state to verify the identification number or VIN number on the vehicle is genuine and agrees with the VIN on the out-of-state title. The inspection is required prior to the owner applying for an original Kansas title.

Vehicles that have been issued a Kansas non-highway title or Kansas salvage title, as well as vehicles that have been assembled or are homemade, are also required to be inspected. The inspection may require additional documentation regarding the history of the various parts used in the assembly and/or repair of the vehicle.

For more information, location times or additional inspection locations visit www.KansasHighwayPatrol.org.

The following items must be presented to complete the inspection:

  • Vehicle, Title and/or supporting documents (salvage, owner retain salvage, assembled vehicles)
  • Valid Driver’s License for person presenting vehicle for inspection
  • Inspection Fee (Payable by cash (preferred), check, Visa or MasterCard) ◦$20 for regular MVE-1 inspection and $25 for salvage/prior or rebuilt salvage

Vehicle Inspection Locations and Phone Numbers:

  • Kansas City Office - 913-334-9604
    7330 I-70, Exit 415, Kansas City, KS 66112
  • Lamar Office - 913-677-5276
    3101 S. 24th Street, Kansas City, KS 66106
  • Olathe Office - 913-780-6058
    395 E. Dennis, Olathe, KS 66061