Facebook Social Icon Instagram Icon Twitter Social Icon You Tube Social Icon

Treasury, Taxation, and Vehicles

How to Pay Your Tax Bill

  • Sample Personal Property Bill
  • Sample Real Estate Bill
  • Please be certain this tax statement covers your property. Johnson County is not responsible if taxes are paid on the wrong property.
  • Full year tax is owed on all Personal Property owned as of Jan. 1, 2020. Kansas law makes no provision for pro-ration. (Except trucks over 16,000 lbs. and types of watercraft)
  • First half taxes are due on or before Dec. 21, 2020. If first half taxes are not paid by this date, the full amount, including interest becomes due (for personal property only, not real estate). Second half taxes are due on or before May 10, 2021. If taxes are not paid by the due dates, interest of 11% per annum in 2020 and 9% per annum in 2021 for real estate and 6% per annum in 2020 and 4% per annum in 2021 for personal property¬†will be added as provided by law, if the delinquency is less than $10,000. On delinquent taxes exceeding $10,000, interest will be charged at a rate of 15% per annum for real estate and 10% per annum for personal property taxes that are delinquent.
  • Make checks payable to the Johnson County Treasurer. Please write your bill number on the check.
  • Pay online with a check, Visa, MasterCard, or Discover. You will need your property number and bill number to make a payment. There is a $0.50 charge for each eCheck transaction. There will be a service fee of 2.4% charged for each credit card transaction.
  • Payments received in our office can be made with personal check, cashier's check, or money order. Cash payments can only be made in person at the Treasurer's Office. We accept Visa, MasterCard, and Discover for an additional service fee of 2.4%.
  • Please forward your bill to your mortgage company, if they are responsible for payment.
  • Prior year delinquent taxes must be paid before current year taxes, and the most delinquent year must be paid first (Personal Property taxes only). Your current year payment will be applied to any delinquent personal property tax on your account. We may choose to return your payment if the outstanding tax is excessive.
  • When paying Real Estate taxes, the current tax, or the most recent delinquent year must be paid first.
  • Payment is not required if Personal Property (Not Real Estate) taxes are less than $5.00.
  • There will be a $30.00 service charge per each returned check.
  • If you wish to protest your taxes, Complete the tax protest form and FILE A COPY WITH THE COUNTY TREASURER'S OFFICE ON OR BEFORE DECEMBER 20 WITH YOUR PAYMENT. (If at least one-half (1/2) of the taxes are paid by an escrow agent, a protest of the taxes must be filed no later than the following January 31.) If taxes are paid after these deadlines, any protest of the taxes must be filed at the time the taxes are paid.
  • If you need to change your mailing address, please complete the online address change form.