Facebook Social Icon Instagram Icon Twitter Social Icon You Tube Social Icon

Treasury, Taxation, and Vehicles

Property Tax Forms

Open Records & Archives

Records up to 5 years old, including the current tax roll, are available in the Johnson County Treasurer's Office at 111 South Cherry Street, Suite 1500, Olathe, KS from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday, except holidays. Records older than 5 years are archived and due to age, deterioration, and off site storage, must be researched by our personnel. Three business days are required for research. If a request cannot be done in three business days a written explanation will be sent with an estimated date it can be completed. Pursuant to K.S.A. 45-219, requesters are responsible for payment of costs incurred by the County in providing access to or furnishing copies of public records. These fees are indicated on the form below.

Examples of public records maintained by the Treasurer's Office*:

  • Real Estate and Personal Property Tax Rolls
  • Real Estate and Personal Property Tax Payments
  • Tax Distribution Records

*If you are looking for public records including Mortgages and Deeds, please visit the Records and Tax Administration website to submit a request.

Associated Documents:

Refund Requests

Johnson County is not responsible if taxes are paid on the wrong property. If your company has made a duplicate or an erroneous payment on a parcel and you are requesting a refund, please fill out the associated Refund Request Form and return to us via fax or mail.  Only the payor/remitter are authorized to request refunds.  Refund requests will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.

Requests for duplicate or erroneous payment refunds of the current tax year must be received by March 15th for first half payments and June 25th for second half payments.  Requests for duplicate or erroneous payment refunds of delinquent years must be requested within 45 days of the date the payment was received.

Associated Documents

Tax Protests

  • If you have not had a meeting with the County Appraiser on the valuation of your property for the same tax year, you can file a protest. Protest forms are available from the County Treasurer or you can print the associated form.
  • Contact your County Treasurer's office to request the protest forms (or print them from the associated documents). Please read and follow the instructions carefully for a successful appeal. NOTE: If the protest form is received in the Treasurer's office unsigned, the protest will be considered invalid and will be returned to you. The delay may jeopardize your chances for a hearing.
  • Complete the tax protest form and file a copy with the County Treasurer's Office after November 1st and on or before December 20th with your payment. (If at least one-half (1/2) of the taxes are paid by an escrow agent, a protest of the taxes must be filed no later than the following January 31.) If taxes are paid after these deadlines, any protest of the taxes must be filed at the time the taxes are paid.
  • The protest form can be submitted through fax to 913-791-5360, as long as it is sent in by the first half and second half deadlines given in step 3 above. After those deadlines, please fill out the form online and print a copy to mail with your payment.
  • You must keep a copy of the protest form. You will need to use this form to file the protest with the Board of Tax Appeals if you are not satisfied with the County's decision.
  • The County Appraiser will contact you to schedule an informal meeting after the County Treasurer forwards your protest form to the Appraiser. If you are filing a protest on the basis of an illegal tax levy, an Appendix must be completed and attached to the protest form. Those protest forms will be mailed by the Treasurer to the State Board of Tax Appeals. No informal hearing will be held with the Appraiser in the case of illegal tax levy protests.
  • If you are successful in your appeal and your paid taxes are reduced, a refund will be issued upon the Treasurer receiving a correction from the County Appraiser's office. If there is still a second half balance due, that amount will be reduced and no refund will be made.

Payment Under Protest

Associated Documents:

Change of Address

The Change of Address Form can be used to request address changes on Real Estate (houses, land) or Personal Property (mobile homes, watercraft, heavy trucks, trailers). This form should not be used to request address changes for motor vehicle registrations.

Click here to open the Change of Address Form