Facebook Social Icon Instagram Icon Twitter Social Icon You Tube Social Icon

Public Works

Phone: 913-715-8300

1800 W. Old Highway 56, Olathe, KS 66061

You are here

Snow & Ice Removal

Johnson County Public Works is responsible for snow and ice removal in the unincorporated area.

Our mission during winter weather is to achieve and maintain safe traffic movement on public roadways, within a reasonable period of time. We are committed to providing effective and efficient winter maintenance services during and immediately following each winter event. Operational procedures, policies, and extensive planning all play a key role in upholding our commitment and honoring our mission.

The decision to initiate snow and ice removal operations is based on factors such as snow accumulation, or expected accumulation, icy conditions which affect travel, and time of snowfall in relation to traffic volumes. The use of weather reports from the National Weather Service, review of local television satellite storm tracking and existing road condition reports are all used to determine the appropriate scope of operations.

The County's roadways are divided into hard surfaced arterial roads, collector streets, residential streets and gravel roads. Arterial roads and those with hills, bridges, shaded driving surfaces or super elevated curves receive first priority. After arterial roads are cleared, crews will begin on collector roadways and residential streets. Due to the logistics of moving motor graders to outlying areas of the county, gravel roads will only be plowed when snow accumulations exceed 3 inches.

Each winter event will vary in size and complexity, and while we strive to work as safe and efficient as possible, we understand there will be complaints or requests for additional services. If, after 24 hours, you feel that we may have missed your area, please submit an online Request for Service or call Public Works at 913-715-8300. Damage to private property, most commonly mailboxes, should also be reported to our office.


For snow and ice removal within city limits, please contact the specific city.
For snow and ice removal on a highway, please contact KDOT.