Facebook Social Icon Instagram Icon Twitter Social Icon You Tube Social Icon


You are here

Minor Home Rehabilitation


Fair Housing Equal Opportunity logo and link to FHEO websiteThe Minor Home Rehabilitation program assists eligible Johnson County homeowners with home repairs and provides limited accessibility modifications for eligible persons with a disability.  City of Olathe residents and City of Lenexa residents are not eligible for Minor Home Rehabilitation program services, but can apply with their city programs. 

For Olathe and Lenexa home repair & modification programs and other providers, see more home repair & modification listings in our Aging & Accessibility Directory. 

Contact Information:

Johnson County Housing Services
Minor Home Rehabilitation Program
12425 W. 87th Street Parkway, Suite 200
Lenexa, KS 66215
913-715-6612 / VOICE
(913) 715-6632 / FAX
E-Mail Minor Home Repair program staff 

Frequent Questions:

Who is eligible?

  • You must be a resident of Johnson County, Kansas.
  • Your annual gross income cannot exceed 80 percent of the median-income guidelines, as published annually by HUD.
  • You must own and occupy your home as your primary residence, be current on the payment of property taxes, and your home cannot be for sale.

What are the income guidelines?

The following income limits are based on HUD published median income guidelines for the Kansas City Metropolitan area (MSA: Kansas City, MO-KS):

Household Size  |  Income Limit

  • 1 person | $48,200
  • 2 person | $55,050
  • 3 person | $61,950
  • 4 person | $68,800
  • 5 person | $74,350
  • 6 person | $79,850
  • 7 person | $85,350
  • 8 person | $90,850

What kinds of repairs are provided?

The program addresses repairs that, if left unattended, would have a direct impact on the health, safety, or accessibility of the homeowner. Repair work focuses on mechanical systems in the home and devices or modifications to make the home accessible.

We do not provide for ordinary homeowner maintenance items, and do not repair appliances, such as stoves, refrigerators, or window air conditioners. We also do not provide exterior maintenance such as yard work, tree removal, snow removal, gutter cleaning, or routine painting.

However, exterior painting may be provided to remedy a city citation or notification by a city/county code inspector of a deficiency for deteriorating or peeling paint.

  • Carpentry: Repair windows and doors, install handrails, replace steps, make small floor and wall repairs.
  • Electrical: Replace faulty outlets, switches, and light fixtures; do minor rewiring; install smoke detectors.
  • Furnace/central air conditioner: Inspect and repair heating and cooling units.
  • Handicap accessibility: Install grab bars, wheelchair access ramps, and railings; modify doors for entrance and egress; install devices for the hearing impaired.
  • Plumbing: Unclog drains; repair toilets/faucets; replace water lines and heaters.
  • Masonry: Repair or replace masonry steps.
  • Roof Replacement: The program provides complete tear-off and replacement of leaking roofs. We do not attempt roof repairs, only replacements. A bid for roof tear-off and replacement must be at or below the maximum grant amount per household. The work will be awarded to the lowest, best, and most responsive bidder.

Also see Protect Your Family from Lead in the Home

What are the program restrictions and service limitations?

Due to limited funding, the program operates under the following restrictions:

  • Funding limit - Funds for the program are allocated on an annual basis per city and per eligible household.
  • Service limit - Furnaces can only be replaced if certified as defective. Electrical systems must be certified as defective or inadequate to qualify for upgrade. The program may allow for the replacement of defective central air conditioning systems (not window units) for eligible persons age 62 and over or persons under age 62 who have a doctor's statement of need or disability. Overland Park residents must have a doctor’s statement regardless of age.

How do I participate?

The application process requires that our office collect some information to determine your eligibility and need. The process includes the following steps:

  • Step 1. Request an application from the Housing Services office (913-715-6612)
    or download the applicationapplication cover letter; certification of residency; and authorization for release of information here.
  • Step 2. Complete the application entirely - read carefully. Only complete applications with documentation will be processed.
  • Step 3. Provide all necessary support documents i.e. bank statements, social security award letters, pension statements etc.
  • Step 4. Note that providing fax numbers for assets, banks, and employers will help our office process your application in less time.
  • Step 5. Sign your name in all necessary places in the application packet.
  • Step 6. Return the application and supporting documents to the Housing Services office by faxing to 913-715-6632, or scan and e-mail to Minor Home Repair program staff  
    or mail to the address below or drop off at:

    Johnson County Housing Services
    12425 West 87th Street Parkway, Suite 200
    Lenexa, KS 66215

  • Step 7. The grants coordinator or the Housing Authority intake specialist will contact you to complete the application process.
  • Step 8. An inspector will assess your home for needed repair.