Facebook Social Icon Instagram Icon Twitter Social Icon You Tube Social Icon

Contractor Licensing

Phone: 913-715-2233

111 S. Cherry STE 1000, Olathe, KS 66061

You are here

Tests and Sponsorship

Contractor Testing and Sponsorship Information

The Johnson County Contractor Licensing program endorses contractor testing as a method of demonstrating trade qualification and code knowledge. This agency recognizes standard examinations as defined by Kansas Statutes or by the Contractor License Review Board (CLRB).

The recognized standard examinations for plumbing, electrical, and mechanical contractors are those promulgated or administered by the International Code Council (ICC), Prometric or past subsidiaries of Educational Testing Service (ETS), or the International Association of Plumbing and Mechanical Officials (IAPMO). Master Plumber with Gas, Master Electrician, and Master Mechanical examinations and tests are accepted with a minimum passing score of 75%.

We also accept many ICC, Prometric, Thompson‐Prometric, Experior, Block, and International Conference of Building Officials (ICBO) examinations or tests, provided the content is equivalent to that of the ICC and Prometric exams listed below. The  minimum passing examination score for General, Building, or One‐ and Two‐Family Dwelling (Residential) building contractors, as well as Class DR Roofing, DW Framing, and DS Swimming Pool Contractor examinations have a minimum passing threshold of 75%.

Qualifying Individuals for the Class DF Fire Protection license must possess a current National Institute for Certification in Engineering Technology (NICET) Automatic Sprinkler System Layout Level III or IV Certification, or NICET Water Based Sprinkler Layout Level III or Level IV. No ICC exams are currently approved for the DF license.

All Prometric exams require sponsorship. The sponsorship fee is $50.

ICC Exams
We recognize the following ICC Kansas exams (referenced by the Exam ID numbers noted): DE, Standard Master Electrician (Exam ID: K9D); DM, Standard Master Mechanical (Exam ID: K9L); DP, Master Plumbing with Gas (Exam ID: K9F); A, Standard General Building Contractor (A) (Exam ID: K9A); B, Standard Building Contractor (B) (Exam ID: K9B); C Standard Residential Building Contractor (C) (Exam ID: K9C); DR, Roofing Contractor/Subcontractor (Exam ID: K9P); DW, Framing Contractor (Exam ID K9J), but will also consider and may be able to recognize ICC National exams if it can be verified to have a 75% or higher score.

Complete ICC exam and registration information, along with an electronic copy of the Kansas Candidates Bulletin can be found at: https://www.iccsafe.org/wp-content/uploads/CO_KS.pdf

ICC exams are administered by Pearson VUE and arrangements for testing are made through them by calling 1-877-234-6082.  Sponsorship for 

ICC does not offer a DS Swimming Pool Contractor exam that is recognized by the agency.

Prometric Exams
We sponsor for and recognize the following exams (referenced by the Catalog Numbers noted) : DE, Master Electrical (Catalog Number 20112); DP, Master Plumbing with Gas (Catalog Number 30323); DM, Master Mechanical (Catalog Number 31123); A, General Construction (Catalog Number 10142); B, Building Construction (Catalog Number 10242); C, Residential Construction (Catalog Number 10342); DR, Roofing (Catalog Number 11632); DS, Unlimited Swimming Pool (Catalog Number 34010). Prometric exam and registration information, along with candidate test content bulletins can be found at: https://www.prometric.com/en-us/Pages/home.aspx. Prometric administers the Prometric tests and requires sponsorship before a test appointment can be secured. Prometric does not offer a DW Framing Contractor exam that is recognized by the agency. Questions about testing or sponsorship can be answered by calling a License Monitor at (913) 715‐2233.



Participating Jurisdiction Inspection Office Links and Phone Numbers

If the city in which you will apply for building permits does not appear below, please contact that city for contractor license requirements. The County and the City each have the separate authority under K.S.A. 12-1510, 12-1527, 12-1543, and 12-1558, to adopt and enforce such codes, standards, and regulations as each deems appropriate for the regulation of i) plumbers, ii) electricians, iii) mechanical heating, ventilation and air conditioning ("HVAC") contractors, and iv) general contractors, building contractors, and residential contractors ("Construction Contractors"). All of the foregoing are referred to as "contractors".

Other Links of Interest:

Licensing Fees

APPLICATION FEE: $100.00 (NON-TRANSFERABLE & NON-REFUNDABLE). An application fee of $100.00 shall accompany each original application. All application and license fees shall be paid without proration.

LICENSE FEE: $225.00 (as of January 1, 2017). The annual Class A, B, C, and D License fee shall be $225.00 for each different type of license being applied for.

RENEWAL FEE: $225.00 (as of January 1, 2017. The annual Class A, B, C, and D License renewal fee shall be $225.00 for each different type of license being renewed.

LATE FEE: $75.00 late fee for each license if license(s) are not renewed on or before January 31 of the following year.

ACCEPTED METHODS OF PAYMENT: Cash, check, money order, cashier check, Visa, Mastercard, and Discover.

License Renewal Application

Renewal or Reinstatement of License. (a) Every contractor license shall be issued on a calendar year basis to expire on December 31st of each year. (License(s) run calendar year from January 1 to December 31). A contractor shall be entitled to renew such contractor's license upon satisfaction of the requirements.

A license renewal application may be submitted to the county beginning on December first through and including the last day of January without a late fee.

Renewal Application Form

LICENSE FEE:$225 License Fee (Each License Not Each Qualified Individual)

Fees are Non-Refundable. Applications postmarked or received at the counter after January 31, 2018 will be subject to a $75.00 late fee.

METHODS OF PAYMENTS: Cash, Checks and Money Orders - Payable to: Johnson County Contractor Licensing. Credit Cards can be accepted for online or office transactions only. (We Accept Visa, MasterCard, and Discover)

Unless an expired license is renewed within one year of its expiration, the contractor shall be required to make a new application and satisfy all of the then- existing contractor licensing requirements.

License renewal applications shall be mailed by Johnson County Contractor Licensing no later than November first of each year to every licensed contractor at the address provided by the contractor. The failure to receive an application shall not excuse untimely license renewal.

Apply for a License

How do I get a Johnson County Contractor's License?

Licensing Application Packet

We license contractors and firms and there are seven steps to obtaining a license. If you have any questions, please call staff by dialing (913) 715-2233. We’ll be happy to help.

  1. Provide a completed 2020 Application. There is a one‐time $100 application fee and a $225 fee per license. We need to have an original of the signed application, so applications must be submitted at the office or mailed to the office.
  2. Provide proof of General Liability and Worker’s Compensation Insurance. Every company except a company with an “inactive license” shall keep in force a policy of general liability insurance including completed operations coverage meeting the program’s mandatory standards and, when required by the laws of Kansas, worker’s compensation  insurance.  The  insurance  policy  must  be  written  with  an  insurance  company  licensed  to  do business in Kansas. A certificate of insurance or other satisfactory evidence of the insurance coverage is required.
  3. Establish the Qualifying Individual. Every licensed entity must have at least one responsible individual who will be known as the Qualifying Individual. The contractor can be the Qualifying Individual. Firms must have at least one Qualified Individual who is a full time employee (full time is defined as working 30 hours per week or more) of the company. The Qualifying Individual must possess either “1” or “2”, as follows:
    1. A Bachelor of Science degree in Architecture, Engineering, Construction Science, or Construction Management from an ABET or ACCE accredited program. Landscape Architecture degrees do not qualify. An official transcript establishes proof of degree qualification.
    2. A certified test score 75% or higher, on a standard examination as defined by Kansas Statutes Annotated (K.S.A.) or as approved by the Contractor License Review Board. Standard examination agencies are defined as the International Code Council (ICC), the International Association of Plumbing and Mechanical Officials (IAPMO), and Prometric or past subsidiaries of Educational Testing Services (ETS). For license types DM (mechanical) and DE (electrical) we recognize only Master level tests and for the license type DP (plumbing) we recognize only the Master Plumber with Gas test, except as allowed by Kansas law. DF (fire protection) license Qualifying Individuals must possess a current National Institute for Certification in Engineering Technology (NICET) Automatic Sprinkler System Layout Level III or IV Certification, or NICET Water Based Sprinkler Layout Level III or Level IV. No ICC exam is approved for DF licenses.
  4. Provide documentary evidence of the Qualifying Individual’s experience. This varies by license type. The experience requirements for Class DE, DM, and DP licenses have been established by the State of Kansas while the other license types have been established by the Contractor Licensing Review Board. Contact staff for information and to discuss documentation.
  5. Confirm the identity of Qualified Individual and company owner with a government issued photo I.D.
  6. Provide a digital photo of the Qualified Individual. In addition to the government issued photo ID of the owner and Qualifying Individual, we need a digital photo of the Qualifying Individual for the license card. We can take one for you in our office, or you can send us one in .JPG format. The photo can be e‐mailed to [email protected] or mailed on a CD, DVD or Flash Drive.
  7. If the firm is a corporate entity, provide evidence that the entity is in good standing. All corporate entities must provide proof of good standing from the Secretary of State of the state in which they are registered.

If you have any questions or need more information, please call staff at (913) 715‐2233.