Below are links to local and national resources and health information on a variety of topics.
- Medication Disposal Site Listing - Johnson County, KS
- United Way 211 - Community Resources - Searchable website for metro area services such as food, clothing and shelter.
- My Resource Connection - Community Resources - Searchable website for Johnson County and metro area services.
- Kansas Department of Health and Environment
- Kansas Health Matters - Community Data and Information
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- BAM! (Body and Mind) – CDC resource that teaches kids how to make healthy lifestyle choices.
- Girls Health – CDC resource teaches adolescent girls how to make healthy lifestyle choices.
- National Adolescent and Young Adult Health Information Center - Resource for adolescent health information and research.
- Physical Activity for Children – Physical activity guidelines for children.
Diseases and Conditions
- Cancer - data, research, and articles related to cancer.
- Diabetes – CDC data, research, and articles related to diabetes.
- Flu - CDC data, research, and articles related to influenza.
- Heart Disease - data, research, and articles related to heart disease.
- CDC Food Safety – information about foodborne illnesses, how to prepare food safely,etc. www.cdc.gov/foodsafety/?s_cid=cdc_homepage_topmenu_002
- My Plate - ChooseMyPlate.gov provides practical information to assist with building a healthier diet. Includes resources and tools for dietary assessment, nutrition education, and other user-friendly nutrition information. www.choosemyplate.gov/ - Printable: https://www.choosemyplate.gov/sites/default/files/myplate/MPMW_tipsheet_14_FINAL.pdf
- Nutrition for Everyone – CDC information about all things nutrition, including food groups and healthier food options. https://www.cdc.gov/nutrition/index.html
- HealthFinder.gov – HealthFinder.gov is an online health database provided by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. healthfinder.gov/
- My Health Finder – U.S. Health and Human Services health recommendations. healthfinder.gov/myhealthfinder
- Data and Statistics – results of studies conducted about health topics. This includes alcohol, birth defects, HIV/AIDS, tobacco, and more. www.cdc.gov/DataStatistics/?s_cid=cdc_homepage_topmenu_moretopics_001
- Healthy People 2020 – Healthy People provides science-based, 10-year national objectives for improving the health of all Americans. www.cdc.gov/nchs/healthy_people/hp2020.htm
- Healthy Weight – resources related to achieving and maintaining a healthy weight. www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/?s_cid=cdc_homepage_topmenu_002
- Obesity and Overweight – data and statistics related to obesity as well as strategies for dealing with obesity. www.cdc.gov/obesity/index.html?s_cid=cdc_homepage_topmenu_002
- Physical Activity – CDC resource on the physical fitness guidelines for adults. www.cdc.gov/physicalactivity/everyone/guidelines/adults.html
- Smoking and Tobacco – resources to quit using tobacco products as well as statistics about tobacco use. www.kdheks.gov/tobacco/cessation.html
- Great American Smokeout information - www.cancer.org/healthy/stayawayfromtobacco/greatamericansmokeout/
- Kansas City's Medicine Cabinet – Provides help for low-income, underinsured and uninsured metro area residents. Includes emergency dental care [fillings and extractions], diabetic supplies, durable medical equipment, hearing aids, prescriptions [no controlled substances], vision exam and eyeglasses.
- Health Insurance – Get information on health insurance, including Medicaid, Medicare, and find help paying for medical bills.
- HealthCare.gov – Enroll in health insurance or update your current health insurance plan.
Limited English Proficiency Resources
- Parent information – CDC’s information on parenting. Included in this is information about parenting children from pregnancy to age 19. www.cdc.gov/parents/index.html
- CDC School Health – CDC provided range of school health resources. Includes: school health topics, nutrition, data and statistics, and more. www.cdc.gov/healthyyouth/schoolhealth/index.htm
- Health for Seniors – resource page by USA.gov to provide health information. Get help to find doctors, hospitals and healthcare facilities. Learn about options for long term care services, find help with common questions about buying and using medications. Includes ways to get help with prescription drug costs and get Medicare and Medicaid resources. https://www.usa.gov/health
- Health Information for Older Adults – CDC information related to aging health.https://www.cdc.gov/aging/aginginfo/index.htm
- Physical Activity for Older Adults – CDC physical activity guidelines for older adults. www.cdc.gov/physicalactivity/everyone/guidelines/olderadults.html
- Travel Health – Senior Citizens – Travel information for seniors. Includes vaccines, medication, and injury prevention information. wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/page/senior-citizens