Friends of JCDS, a 501(c)(3) non-profit charity, has been helping to make wishes reality for thousands of our friends and neighbors who face daily challenges and adversity. JCDS stands for “Johnson County Developmental Supports,” an agency of Johnson County government that provides community-based programs and supports for people with intellectual/developmental disabilities in Johnson County, Kansas. Friends of JCDS was born on Valentine’s Day, 1990 to fulfill these major purposes:
- Establish an alliance between people interested in the issues and challenges facing the intellectual/developmental disability community;
- Foster public awareness and support for JCDS, the Friends of JCDS and the people they serve;
- Encourage charitable giving to aid in the delivery of quality services to people with intellectual/developmental disabilities;
- Develop and maintain wheelchair accessible housing for people with physical as well as intellectual/developmental disabilities;
- Promote research and education aimed at treating and preventing intellectual disabilities.