The federal, state and local governments have a partnership through which numerous governmental services are funded and made available to citizens. This partnership is dependent upon stable funding, preserving decision-making at the appropriate level, and removing barriers to efficient and effective access to services. Johnson County strongly supports these core principles as the means to an effective, improved partnership among each level of government.
Government relations efforts
- Identifying and researching potential state and federal legislative policy
- Preparing legislative agendas
- Lobbying state and federal lawmakers
- Providing analysis of legislative issues and developing response strategies
- Publishing reports that track legislative action
- Promoting and facilitating cooperative intergovernmental initiatives
- Serving as liaison to other local governments, the Kansas Association of Counties and the League of Kansas Municipalities
- Making public presentations on legislative action and lobbying
These efforts benefit the county by:
- Keeping county commissioners and staff informed about public policy issues that affect county government and the community, permitting the county to respond quickly and effectively
- Enabling Johnson County to identify and pursue legislative policies that enhance the efficiency and effectiveness of county operations and assist in keeping taxes low
- Enhancing Johnson County's visibility and influence at the local, state and federal levels
- Creating better and more coordinated intergovernmental cooperative efforts
- Serving as an information resource for Johnson County citizens
Johnson County works with the Kansas Association of Counties (KAC) and the League of Kansas Municipalities (LKM). Affiliates make recommendations and provide input on the organization's legislative platform, and communicate on legislative issues during the course of the year. Each year Johnson County pays annual dues to each affiliate; in 2019 membership for KAC was $16,987.19 and for LKM was $8,152.96.
Lobbyist for Johnson County
Federico Consulting, Inc.
900 South Kansas Avenue
Topeka, KS 66612
Federico Consulting, Inc. is contracted with the County to provide professional lobbying services for the state legislative platform and, among other things, represent and report to the County on a regular basis regarding legislation and related issues that affect the County.
Previous legislative platforms