Winter hours from 7:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. go into effect Nov. 1 for many Johnson County Park and Recreation District parks. These winter hours will stay in effect through Feb. 29.
District parks impacted by the new hours are:
- Heritage Park, 16050 Pflumm Road, Olathe;
- Kill Creek Park, 11670 Homestead Lane, Olathe;
- Lexington Lake Park, 8850 Sunflower Road, De Soto;
- Antioch Park, 6501 Antioch Road, Merriam;
- Big Bull Creek Park, 20425 Sunflower Road, Edgerton; and,
- Meadowbrook Park, 9101 Nall Ave., Prairie Village.
Winter hours for Shawnee Mission Park, 7900 Renner Road, Shawnee and Lenexa, are 6 a.m. to 8 p.m.
Other district parks with year-round dawn to dusk hours include: Ernie Miller Park, 909 North Kansas 7 Highway, Olathe; Sunflower Nature Park, 103rd St. and Edgerton Road, rural De Soto; Thomas S. Stoll Memorial Park, 12500 W. 119th Street, Overland Park; Camp Branch Glade, 175th & Mission Road in Aubry Township; Stilwell Community Park, 207th and Metcalf, Stilwell; and all of the Streamway Park System access points.
Park hours are reduced each winter to reduce costs and to allow for the reallocation of staff time to other activities at a time when fewer people typically visit the parks because of colder weather and earlier nightfall.
Outdoor restrooms and water fountains in JCPRD parks are in the process of being turned off and weatherized to avoid damage from freezing. Notable exceptions are:
- the “off-the-grid” restroom at the Heritage Park Off-Leash Dog Area, which uses solar panels on the roof to heat water in a tubing system to provide radiant heat to the building;
- restrooms in the foyer area of the JCPRD Administration Building near the 79th Street entrance in Shawnee Mission Park, which are climate controlled and will remain open during park hours throughout the year;
- restrooms in the Meadowbrook Park Clubhouse, 9101 Nall, Prairie Village; and,
- two restrooms in Big Bull Creek, including one at the combined park maintenance building and Johnson County Park Police substation located at 19770 Four Corners Road and another near the nature-themed playground at 20425 Sunflower Road, Edgerton.
For more information, visit the district’s website at www.jcprd.com or call 913-438-7275.