The following timeline identifies actions taken since the November 8, 2016 countywide public vote approving a quarter-cent public safety sales tax to fund the courthouse and a medical examiner facility.
- Dec. 9 - Johnson County Board of County Commissioners adopted a resolution to levy the additional one-fourth cent sales tax countywide for a period of 10 years, beginning on or about April 1, 2017.
- The Board of County Commissioners amended the county's Capital Improvement Program to include the courthouse and medical examiner projects and authorize the projects.
- The Public Building Commission approved the projects and sale of bonds.
- Johnson County negotiated with property owners in block 29 (located one block north of the site of the new courthouse) to purchase the property for a new parking lot for the courthouse.
- Johnson County issued a number of requests for proposals (RFP) for professional services, including an owner’s representative and a design criteria consultant. Both were approved in 2017 and have been working on the county's project requirements.
- Johnson County demolished structures on property it purchased for a new courthouse parking lot. The property is located a block north of the site of new courthouse (late October/early November 2017).
- The Board of County Commissioners voted Nov. 2, 2017, to select JE Dunn/TreanorHL/Fentress as the design-build team.
- The public heard from the appointed Artist Selection Panel (ASP) as they reviewed and discussed submissions in response to the Call for Artists. The ASP will identify a short list of finalists to be interviewed for inclusion on the Design-Build team. Ultimately, the selected artist will install original, integrated, new public art in the new courthouse.
- Public engagement meetings were held Feb. 6, 2018, in Olathe and Feb. 7 in Overland Park to provide residents with initial design and plans and receive feedback.
- Schematic designs were presented to the Board of County Commission on March 22, 2018.
- Construction began in the second quarter of 2018.
- Substantial completion in August 2020 and occupancy in early 2021.