Note: This information was last updated after May 26, 2016 and prior to the public safety sales tax vote on Nov. 8, 2016.
On May 26, the Johnson County Board of County Commissioners voted to place two public safety priorities on the Nov. 8 ballot: a new courthouse & coroner facility to be funded by ¼ cent sales tax. Here's the approved ballot language:
Shall the Board of County Commissioners of Johnson County, Kansas, for public safety projects, adopt and impose an additional one-fourth (1/4) of one-cent countywide retailers’ sales tax in Johnson County, Kansas, to be levied from and after April 1, 2017, for a period of ten (10) years, ending on March 31, 2027, with the revenue from that tax to be distributed as required by law to the county and to the cities in Johnson County, and the county share to be used to fund the costs of construction and operation of public safety projects, including the construction of a courthouse building and a coroner facility, together with the costs to demolish the existing courthouse, and for the costs of programs and facilities related to those projects, including the courts, administration of justice, and District Attorney?
Fall general election information
The deadline to register to vote in the Nov. 8 general election is Oct. 18.
Advance voting will take place Oct. 24–Nov. 7 at the following six locations:
- Hilltop Learning Campus, 7700 W. 143rd St., Overland Park, KS 66223
- Johnson County Arts & Heritage Center, 8788 Metcalf Ave., Overland Park, KS 66212
- Johnson County Northeast Offices, 6000 Lamar, Mission, KS 66202
- Johnson County Government Sunset Building, 11811 S. Sunset Dr., Olathe, KS 66061
- Johnson County Election Office, 2101 E. Kansas City Rd., Olathe, KS 66061
- Okun Fieldhouse, 20200 Johnson Dr., Shawnee, KS 66218
Visit jocoelection.org for additional election information.