Facebook Social Icon Instagram Icon Twitter Social Icon You Tube Social Icon

Department of Corrections

You are here

Offender Drop-Off's

If your child (age 10 to 17) has committed an offense, the law enforcement agency making the arrest may bring your child to JIAC. If the juvenile is transported to JIAC by the arresting agency, the screening process will be completed by one of our Intake Specialists. When transported to JIAC, your child is in the custody of law enforcement. Every effort will be made to determine the safest and most appropriate release of your child, with most returned to their parents at the conclusion of the process.

In some cases, law enforcement officers have the discretion to either transport directly to JIAC or release to parents with an NTA (see NTA process). In either case, JIAC is still mandated to screen the youth. Youth can be brought to JIAC by any law enforcement officer. Youth can be brought in as either an offender or Child in Need of Care (CINC) (see CINC process). If brought in as an offender, JIAC is required to book the youth, and in some cases, mandated by state statute to fingerprint the youth and collect DNA.

It is not necessary to have an attorney present for the JIAC screening. Information gained by the Intake Specialist cannot be used to determine guilt or innocence in court and will not be used by the District Attorney’s Office when making decisions about possible charges. Screenings are done primarily so that appropriate services can be offered to youth and families based on strengths and needs identified during the interview process. Data is also provided to the Kansas Juvenile Justice Authority pursuant to Kansas state statutes.

There are a number of different services that can be offered to youth and families. Services may include Case Management, substance abuse services, mental health services, family counseling, and anger management.

Based on the screening interview, validated assessment tools, and the presenting circumstances, a placement decision will occur. The youth may be released, placed on House Arrest, or detained at the Juvenile Detention Center. Depending on the offense, and the circumstances, it may be mandatory that the youth is detained. The authorization to release or place the youth on House Arrest will not be options in these circumstances. Community safety has to be carefully monitored, and if a youth has serious offenses, or a lengthy history of offenses, placement in the Juvenile Detention Center (JDC) may be warranted. If the Intake Specialist has any reason to believe a youth is not safe to return home, alternative placements may be pursued. If the youth reports any type of abuse or neglect, Intake Specialists are mandated to report these allegations to the Kansas Department of Social Rehabilitation Services (SRS).

The Intake Specialist will attempt to make contact with the parent or legal guardian of the juvenile and notify the parent that the youth is at JIAC. The youth will not be released to any other adult without authorization from the parent or legal guardian. If a parent cannot be contacted, the juvenile will be detained in the Johnson County Juvenile Detention Center, and a detention hearing will be set for the following business day. Once the youth has been detained, he/she cannot be released without authority from the court. The Intake Specialist does not have authority to release a youth that is placed in detention.

Since an arrest was made, it is required that the arresting agency’s police report is submitted to the District Attorney’s office. Regardless of the placement decision that is made by the Intake Specialist, it is entirely up to the District Attorney’s Office to determine if charges will be filed against the juvenile. If the youth is released to a parent or guardian by the Intake Specialist, the District Attorney’s Office may still elect to file charges in the case. Should this occur, you will be notified by the DA’s Office of the scheduled date and time the youth will need to appear in court.

All referrals made by JIAC Intake Specialists are completely voluntary. However, participation in these services is viewed favorably by the District Attorney’s Office and the courts, especially when diversion may be an option.

Confidentiality is a high priority, and any records or information obtained through the screening process regarding the youth and their families are protected. Information and records will only be released to other agencies as determined necessary by the JIAC Manager in order for the youth and families to obtain needed services and/or to further facilitate treatment. JIAC records are governed by state law and are only released to authorized agencies and/or JIAC partners in accordance with those laws.

Notice & Agreement to Appear

My child received a Notice and Agreement to Appear. What happens next?

The youth/parent is mandated to contact the Juvenile Intake and Assessment Center (JIAC) within 24 hours of the arrest. If staff are not available to take your call, a detailed message may be left.

By speaking with JIAC staff or leaving a message you have fulfilled your requirement to contact JIAC. JIAC staff will attempt to set an appointment time with the family at their earliest convenience.

Was my child arrested?

Yes. If your child received a Notice to Appear, he was technically arrested.

Information you will need from the NTA form that was issued to your child.    

Please be ready to provide this information when scheduling an appointment.

What do I need to bring to my appointment?

  • The youth accused of the offense.
  • At least one parent/guardian.
  • The signed NTA form given from law enforcement.

What will be discussed during the assessment:

  • Relationships and dynamics in the home.
  • School grades, attendance and behavior issues.
  • Drug and alcohol use history.
  • Mental health history.

No questions will be asked of the youth in regards to the alleged offense.

Your child’s fingerprints, photograph and DNA may be taken according to Kansas State Statute, depending on the type of offense alleged.

What is the purpose of this assessment?

The main goal of this assessment is to highlight the youth’s strengths and identify areas or risk or concern. By doing this, we can focus on providing services to address the needs of the youth and family and hopefully prevent future police contact.

Do we need an attorney present at this assessment?

An attorney is not required at this appointment as we do not discuss the alleged offense. However, you are welcome to contact an attorney at any time.

Frequently Asked Questions - CINC

What is a Child In Need of Care OR CINC?

A Child in Need of Care, otherwise known as a CINC, is defined as a person under 18 years of age who:

  1. is without adequate parental care, control or subsistence and the condition is not ue solely to the lack of financial means of the child's parents or other custodian;
  2. is without the care or control necessary for the child's physical, mental or emotional health;
  3. has been physically, mentally or emotionally abused or neglected or sexually abused;
  4. has been placed for care or adoption in violation of law;
  5. has been abandoned or does not have a known living parent;
  6. is not attending school as required by K.S.A. 72-977 or 72-1111 and amendments thereto;
  7. except in the case of a violation of K.S.A. 21-4204a, 41-727, subsection (j) of K.S.A. 74-8810 or subsection (m) or (n) of K.S.A. 79-3321, and amendments  thereto, or, except as provided in paragraph (12), does an act which, when committed by a person under 18 years of age, is prohibited by state law, city ordinance or county resolution but which is not prohibited when done by an adult;
  8. While less than 10 years of age, commits any act which if done by an adult would constitute the commission of a felony or misdemeanor as defined by K.S.A. 21-3105, and amendments thereto;
  9. is willfully and voluntarily absent from the child's home without the consent of the child's parent or other custodian;
  10. is willfully and voluntarily absent at least a second time from a court ordered or designated placement, or a placement pursuant to court order, if the absence is without the consent of the person with whom the child is placed or, if the child is placed in a facility, without the consent of the person in charge of such facility or such person's designee;
  11. has been residing in the same residence with a sibling or another person under 18 years of age, who has been physically, mentally or emotionally abused or neglected, or sexually abused;
  12. while less than 10 years of age commits the offense defined in K.S.A. 21-4204a, and amendments thereto; or
  13. has had a permanent custodian appointed and the permanent custodian is no longer able or willing to serve.

How is Juvenile Intake and Assessment accessed?

Police Drop Off: Juvenile Intake and Assessment Services are primarily accessed through law enforcement agencies transporting a Child in Need of Care directly to designated JIAC’s across the State. There are 32 Juvenile Intake Assessment Centers across the State of Kansas. Johnson County Department of Corrections provides Juvenile Intake services for any Child in Need of Care taken into custody by law enforcement agencies in Johnson County, KS.

Notice and Agreement to Appear: In some cases, law enforcement officers have the discretion to either transport directly to JIAC or release to parents with a Notice and Agreement to Appear, otherwise known as NTA. Unlike the alleged Juvenile Offender NTA (see NTA process under Court Services tab), Child in Need of Care NTA’s are voluntary. In these cases, law enforcement believes that the issue at hand does not rise to the direct transport of the youth to JIAC, instead, parent(s) or guardian(s), can call and set up an assessment around their own schedule.

Walk-Ins: Parent(s) or guardian(s) have the same option to receive JIAC services by walking in to Juvenile Intake and Assessment and asking for an Intake Specialist to help them. However, there may be other police drop off or NTA cases that Intake Specialists are already assessing. This should not deter you from coming in and getting help, but a phone call ahead of time may prevent you from being turned away and asked to come back.

Who does Juvenile Intake and Assessment serve?

We serve any youth ages 0 to 17 who are classified as Children in Need of Care (see CINC definition) or who are at risk for becoming Children in Need of Care. Common at-risk behaviors we see through Juvenile Intake and Assessment are:

  • Running Away
  • Ungovernable behavior – defiance, not following basic house rules such as curfew
  • Truancy and other school behavior issues
  • Substance Abuse issues
  • Mental Health issues, including cutting and suicidal ideations
  • Anger and hostile behaviors
  • Sexually Acting Out
  • Abuse – Intake Specialists are mandated reporters
  • Neglect – Intake Specialists are mandated reporters

What is mandatory reporting?

Intake Specialists are individuals who hold a professional position (as of social worker, physician, teacher, or counselor) that requires him or her to report to the appropriate state agency cases of child abuse that he or she has reasonable cause to suspect.

Will JIAC notify my child's school about this arrest?

No. JIAC staff do not contact school personnel. Nonetheless, your child's arrest is a matter of public record and may be known to the School Resource Officer (SRO).

What happens when my child is at Juvenile Intake and Assessment?

A Juvenile Intake Specialist will notify the parent or guardian. The Intake Specialist will interview you and your child and collect the following information:

  • Family History
  • Criminal History, including indications of gang involvement
  • Educational History
  • Medical History
  • Abuse History
  • Prior Community Services used or treatments provided
  • Standardized risk assessment tool for youth 12 and older
  • Interests, Activities, Hobbies
  • Strengths and Needs of youth and family

The youth can refuse to take the assessment at any time. The information from the assessment is deemed confidential until a Judge or Intake and Assessment Director releases information to selected parties identified by K.S.A. 38-2310. Some examples are the District Attorney’s Office, SRS, and probation officers.

Once the information is gathered, the Intake Specialist may:

  • Release the youth to: the custody of a parent, other legal guardian or an appropriate adult if the Intake Specialist believes that it would be in the best interest of the youth and not harmful to the youth to do so.
  • Conditionally release the youth to a parent, other legal guardian or an appropriate adult if the Intake Specialist believes that if the conditions are met it would be in the youth’s best interest, and it might be harmful to release the youth without imposing conditions.
  • Deliver the child to a shelter facility or licensed attendant care center.
  • Refer the child to the county or district attorney for appropriate proceedings to be filed or refer the youth and family to Social and Rehabilitation Services (SRS) for investigation in regard to the allegations.
  • Make recommendations to the county or district attorney concerning immediate intervention programs.

What does it mean when my child is placed in PPC?

PPC stands for Police Protective Custody. This is a 72-hour time period, excluding weekends and holidays, where law enforcement has determined that a child is in imminent danger or a perpetrator has access to the child or the non-involved parent is unable to protect the child from harm. When a child is placed in Police Protective Custody, law enforcement directly transports the child to Juvenile Intake and Assessment. Once the intake process is completed, a placement decision is made and the child will be transported to a safe and appropriate destination. The 72-hour time period is set for SRS and law enforcement to investigate the allegations.

Who do I contact the day after my child is placed in PPC?

A parent can call Juvenile Intake and speak to an Intake Specialist from 8am-10pm, Monday through Friday, and from 10am-10pm on Saturday and Sunday. However, once a child is placed in Police Protective Custody a temporary custody hearing is set by the Court. Temporary custody hearings are held on Tuesdays and Thursdays. The Court will notify all parties involved regarding the upcoming court date, time and location. The Court will then make the decision to release from Police Protective Custody or not. An SRS social worker will also make contact with the family during the 72-hour time period as part of their investigation.

The intake process is not for criminal investigation or for investigations into abuse and neglect allegations as those are completed by law enforcement or SRS. The intake information can only be used to help the Court with a decision regarding the disposition of the youth and cannot be entered into evidence or used in an adjudication hearing as identified in K.S.A. 75-7023.

Is there a fee for this service?

No. Juvenile Intake and Assessment is a free and voluntary service.

What are Juvenile Intake and Assessment Center hours of operation?

Juvenile Intake and Assessment is available to law enforcement 24-hours a day, seven days a week. An Intake Specialist is on-site from 8am to 10pm, Monday through Friday, and then also Saturday and Sunday from 10am to 10pm.

Where is Child in Need of Care Juvenile Intake and Assessment located?

The Child in Need of Care section of Juvenile Intake is located within the Johnson County Youth and Family Services Center, 920 W. Spruce, Olathe, KS and can be reached at 913-715-7320.

Corrections Intake

Corrections Intake
(Offender Drop-Offs)
915 W. Spruce
Olathe, KS 66061
Phone: (913) 715-7350

Child in Need of Care (CINC)

Juvenile Intake and Assessment provides evaluations for children in need of care (CINC) who are taken into custody by law enforcement agencies. CINC intake operates on a twenty-four hour, seven-day week basis to assist law enforcement by allowing them to return to patrol while intake staff assess the youth’s needs. This assessment helps provide early identification of at-risk behaviors and determines what community based services may be appropriate for the youth and family as well as to determine if the youth can be returned home or if placement is appropriate pending a subsequent court hearing.

CINC - Juvenile Intake and Assessment is managed by Johnson County Department of Corrections and is overseen by the Juvenile Services Division of the Kansas Department of Corrections. The Department of Corrections, Juvenile Services Division serves children and families throughout the northeast region, when youth have had law enforcement contact in Johnson County. The Department of Corrections, Juvenile Services Division provides a continuum of programs and services, and serve as advocates for children, along with collaborating with other public and private sector agencies to increase effectiveness and promote efficiency and quality services to youth and families. Our program provides assessment services, coupled with advocacy efforts that focus on keeping children safe, families strong, and communities involved.

Case Management Program

The goal of the case management program is to reduce the risk of a youth re-offending after his/her juvenile offense and before sentencing by providing referrals, assisting with accessing community-based resources, and assisting the youth and family through the court process. The case management program is a free, voluntary program and services will be provided until the outcome of your case is known.

Benefits of Case Management

  • Liaison through the Court Process
  • Advocate for the youth
  • Goal Setting
  • Referrals to other programs
  • Free of charge
  • Confidentiality


During the case management program, the Case Management Specialist will work closely with youth and their families to set attainable goals in areas such as family relations, peers, employment, extracurricular activities, volunteer work, education, and much more.


Case Management Specialists focus on the strengths of the youth and their families and empower them to set and obtain their own goals.


Meetings can occur at the Juvenile Intake & Assessment Center, in your home, at school, or at other community locations.

The length of meetings will generally be 30-60 minutes per week.

Since participation in the program is the youth’s decision, youth are responsible for attending weekly meetings and rescheduling a meeting if a conflict arises.

Feel free to call and speak with a Case Management Specialist for more information about the program.

Office hours: Monday-Saturday 8:00 AM - 8:00 PM

Youth Family Services Center
920 W. Spruce
Olathe, KS 66061
Phone (913) 764-4051

If you have suggestions or comments about the Case Management Program,
please contact …

Mary Ann Pitnick (Program Supervisor)
Phone: (913) 715-7213
Email: [email protected]


Case Management FAQ's

1) What is the Case Management Program?

The Case Management Program is Strength-Based with the goal to reduce the risk of a youth re-offending after his/her juvenile offense and before an outcome is known, regarding the current offense. This is done by focusing on strengths, setting goals, meeting on a weekly basis, providing referrals to and assistance in accessing community based resources, and assisting the youth and family through the court process, if necessary.

2) What does Strength-Based mean?

The Case Management Specialist will focus on the strengths of the youth and their families and empower them to set and obtain their own goals. The Case Management Specialist will work closely with the youth and their family to set attainable goals in areas such as family relations, peers, empowerment, extracurricular activities, volunteer work, education, and much more!

3) What are the benefits of Case Management?

  • Free of charge
  • Voluntary Program
  • Confidentiality
  • Referral to other community based programs
  • Advocate for the youth
  • Liaison through the court process

4) How do I know if my family is eligible to participate in the Case Management Program?

When the youth comes to JIAC for a Notice & Agreement to Appear (NTA), or is brought to JIAC by a Law Enforcement Officer (LEO), the JIAC staff will determine if the youth is eligible for Case Management. If eligibility is met, a referral will be made to the Case Management Program.

5) We’ve been told we were referred to the Case Management Program, now what?

Once the referral is received from the JIAC Intake Specialist and assigned to the appropriate Case Management Specialist, the Case Manager will make a minimum of 2 phone attempts to reach the family. If no contact with the family has been established after phone attempts, the family will receive a letter in the mail with information related to the Case Management Program and instruction on how to contact their assigned Case Manager. During the conversations that result from these contacts, the Case Manager will set up an Initial Meeting with the family.

6) Is participation in the Case Management Program required?

No. The Case Management program is a VOLUNTARY program. Since participation is the youth’s decision, the youth is responsible for attending weekly meetings, rescheduling if a conflict arises, and maintaining communication with their assigned Case Management Specialist. At any point from the time the referral is made, the youth and/or family have the option of declining to participate or terminating services. Participation in the Case Management Program will not affect the outcome of the offense, but is considered to be a proactive measure and demonstrate accountability and responsibly on the youths behalf regarding the offense.

7) What should be expected during the initial meeting?

The assigned Case Manager will come to your home with a field partner, review the Case Management Program with the family and obtain a release of information and other necessary paperwork. A parent/guardian is required to participate in the initial meeting.

8) Where do the weekly meetings take place?

The weekly meetings can take place at home (as long as an adult is around the home), the school (during a seminar or study hall type hour), or in the community (library, local restaurant or coffee shop, provided the youth has transportation to and from). On-going weekly meetings do not require parent participation, but feedback from and communication with the parent is valued part of the program.

9) How long do meeting last?

The weekly meetings generally will last 30-60 minutes depending on the youth and family’s needs.

10) What is the duration of the Case Management program?

Case Management services will be provided until the outcome of the juvenile offense is known.

11) What is discussed during the meetings?

The Case Management Specialist will provide information related to the outcome of the youth’s offense, as well as a variety of activities aimed at setting goals and reducing the risk of re-offense.

12) Is the Case Management program a program offered instead of Diversion?

No. The Case Management Program is separate from any outcome option regarding the offense and will only be provided until a decision regarding the outcome is made by the District Attorney’s Office (DA).

13) Is there a cost to participate in the program?

No. The Case Management Program is a FREE and VOLUNTARY program that is Grant-funded.