Illegal Dumping

Illegal dumping

Illegal dumping complaints in Johnson County are handled by the Department of Health and Environment and/or the Johnson County Planning and Codes Department. The Johnson County Public Works Department also handles illegal dumping complaints for solid waste found along the county unincorporated roadway easements.

Examples of illegal dumping complaints include:

  • construction/demolition debris
  • household hazardous waste- including paint and other household chemicals
  • municipal solid waste- regular trash
  • orphaned containers such as one-gallon, five-gallon, or even 55-gallon drums
  • trash and wood debris brought in from off site
  • waste tires

Report Illegal Dumping

If you witness illegal dumping occurring, please contact 9-1-1 and report the activity.

If you observe illegally dumped solid waste including waste tires, construction and demolition debris, household hazardous waste, etc., please complete the Environmental Complaint form.

You may also contact the Environmental Division by calling 913-715-6900

If you have additional questions or concerns about illegal dumping or non-permitted solid waste disposal sites, landfills, or dumps contact Craig Wood 913-715-6917