AccessKC Medical Vouchers

Photo of pill box and medication.

Johnson County Multi-Service Centers are a vendor for AccessKC vouchers (formerly called Kansas City's Medicine Cabinet). AccessKC is a program that provides short-term emergency medical assistance for those in need in metropolitan Kansas City.

Very few social service agencies provide funding for short-term medical assistance. AccessKC focuses on this area, working with established social service agencies that provide utility assistance and food assistance. Appointments are required to receive assistance.

All services are provided by appointment only. To see if you qualify and schedule an appointment, please call 913-715-6653. Calls are answered 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Monday-Friday.

AccessKC FAQ

What type of medical assistance is available?

  • Emergency dental care (fillings and extractions)
  • Diabetic supplies
  • Durable medical equipment (including hearing aids)
  • Prescriptions (no controlled substances)
  • Vision exam and eyeglasses

What are the qualifications to receive assistance?

  • Must be a Johnson County resident.
  • Must be at or below 200% of the federal poverty guidelines and provide income verification from the previous 30 days. Aging and Human Services utilizes total gross income for the household which includes wages, social security, unemployment, TANF and child support.
  • Must provide photo IDs for members 18+ in the household.
  • Must provide Social Security cards for all members of the household.

Can I receive assistance with multiple medical needs?

Each individual may receive one service within a 12-month period with a maximum of $1,800 in services within a lifetime.

How do I access services?

All services are provided by appointment only. To see if you qualify and schedule an appointment, please call 913-715-6653. Calls are answered 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Monday-Friday.

What documents do I need for my appointment?

Before your appointment, please gather the following documents. All documents must be provided before we are able to provide you with services. Appointments will be rescheduled if you are unable to produce the needed documentation.

  1. Proof of residency documentation that includes client's name and street address (dated within the last 30 days)
    • Provide one of the following:
      • Current lease that is in the resident's name seeking assistance
      • Another official correspondence in the resident's name seeking assistance - such as government correspondence (example: IRS, DCF, or Social Security)
      • Current copy of a utility bill in resident's name seeking assistance
  2. Picture ID for adults (18 yrs and older) in Household:
    • Provide one of the following:
      • Driver license or expired driver license if the picture is recognizable
      • Passport – current /expired 
      • Military ID with social security number on it
      • State ID
      • Corrections ID
      • If a member of the household is 18 years of age and NOT in high school, then official picture ID is required.
  3. Proof of income for last 30 days for all adults in household 18 years and older (exception students in high school)
    • Provide all that apply:
      • Paycheck stub – Payments/ pay stubs received in the last 30 days
      • Social Security Administration (SSA) benefit letter for the current year
      • Unemployment letter – online Pay Card report
      • DCF cash benefit letter or print out from
      • Bank statement – Bank statement must be within last 30 days and can be used for self-employed or pension. All deposits are considered income. Must include client’s name on the bank statement.
      • Proof of child support from KANPAY system or bank statement showing deposits of child support
      • Cash Payment - If employee is paid cash: copies of the checks or letter from employer stating their income for the last 30 days. The number of hours worked and hourly rate for last 30 days should be included on the letter.
      • Self-Employment – clients can use personal bank statements to verify income
  4. If receiving prescription assistance, must provide prescription or medical order
  5. Social Security cards required for all members of the household to receive AccessKC Medical Vouchers

Where are the locations?

Appointments are required to receive services.

Are there additional vendors in Johnson County for AccessKC?

Yes, Johnson County residents needing medical assistance can also contact El Centro or Jewish Family Services for an appointment to receive a medical voucher.

AccessKC has additional locations for Missouri and Kansas residents.

Contact Information

Johnson County Multi-Service Centers