On Tuesday, Dec. 29, Johnson County Department of Health and Environment Director Dr. Sanmi Areola provided a written update on the pandemic to the Board of County Commissioners.
Highlights from the briefing include:
- There were 1,561 new infections last week. That is down from 2,285 the week prior. This translates to an average of 223 new infections per day. This is a significant drop from recent numbers.
- When calculated as a rate, we are at 260 cases per 100,000 residents per week. Our goal is <50 new infections per 100,000 residents.
- The positivity rate is 10.3%. Our goal is 5%.
- The primary measure/criteria for schools is the incidence rate. Our recommended phase for school gating criteria is Red Zone.
- If you must travel during this holiday season, driving is much safer than flying.
- KDHE has stood up additional testing sites throughout Johnson County at Church of the Resurrection, Shawnee Mission North, Johnson County Community College, College Boulevard Activity Center and Mercy and Truth.
- These sites are the only ones without a minimum age requirement for testing!
- Appointments at these locations can be scheduled at www.gogettested.com.
- Pfizer and Moderna’s vaccines have been distributed across the state. The first priorities, determined by the state, are healthcare associated workers and long-term care facility residents and staff.
- Residents of long-term care facilities started to receive their vaccines yesterday, Dec. 28.