The November-December issue of The Best Times magazine is on its way in the mail with a cover story featuring two veterans of World War II who witnessed liberated concentration camps near the end of the war.
The issue also profiles more than 60 local WWII veterans in celebration of the 75th anniversary to the end of the war and Holocaust. It provides details of Johnson County’s 2020 Veterans Day observance. The observance will be presented online due to the COVID-19 pandemic and health-safety guidelines for reducing and containing the spread of the disease.
Other articles include:
- Advice from the Department of Health and Environment on how to safely celebrate the holiday season. The department also continues to encourage getting vaccinated against the flu amid the coronavirus and is offering Diabetes Prevention Program classes.
- The holiday season and winter months also pose mental health challenges. The Mental Health Center provides some guidance by using an old rhyme for brides: something old, something new, something borrowed and something blue.
- Virtual programs remain popular at the Park and Recreation District and Johnson County Library.
- Johnson County Area Agency on Aging is asking for feedback on its 2020 Aging Services directory, Explore Your Options.
- Upcoming events include a winter solstice celebration in December, the Owl Prowl on five dates in November, storytelling also in November, and a virtual Noon New Year’s Eve celebration via Zoom to end 2020. Thank goodness!
Download the magazine.