As part of new precautions relating to COVID-19, Park Naturalist Regina Wasson gives a camper a mid-day temperature check on Monday, at the start of the second week of the Johnson County Park & Recreation District’s Outdoor Discovery Camp in Shawnee Mission Park.
Other measures to combat coronavirus include:
- Limiting most camps to about 50% of their usual capacity
- Cancelling field trips and swimming, at least initially until pools and beaches open
- Daily camp check-in and health screenings away from the camp site, including health questions and a temperature check
- Restricting facility access and maintaining a log of authorized individuals who enter the camp
- Keeping campers in the same groups with same staff each day whenever possible
- Encouraging staff to wear masks when participating in group activities or when they are in close proximity to campers
- Encouraging frequent hand washing and disinfecting frequently-touched surfaces throughout the day
While some JCPRD weekly camps, like this one, began May 26, most started June 1, with other camps beginning through June, July and through the first week of August.