Due to shortages of laboratory supplies and reagents, testing for COVID-19, the state lab is being prioritized for public health purposes and urgent need. The Kansas Department of Health and Environment is prioritizing specimens for COVID-19 testing based upon those who meet Kansas’ patient under investigation (PUI) criteria beginning March 23.
- Health care workers and first responders who have COVID-19 symptoms.
- Potential clusters of unknown respiratory illness, with priority given to long-term care facilities and healthcare facilities.
- Hospitalized patients with no alternative diagnosis.
- Individuals over the age of 60 who have symptoms of COVID-19 with priority given to people who reside in a nursing home, long-term care facility, or other congregate setting.
- Individuals with underlying health conditions that would be treated differently if they were infected with COVID-19.
Read more about testing guidelines.