Facebook Social Icon Instagram Icon Twitter Social Icon You Tube Social Icon
Food on a food pantry shelf

Resources for furloughed federal employees

Johnson County offers several programs that may assist those who find themselves without a paycheck due to the federal government shutdown.

The county’s Multi-Service Outreach Centers serve people in need of social services who live in geographic areas generally conforming to school districts. The center managers are available to meet with residents by appointment to address their situations. The centers work closely with school districts, area churches, businesses, and organizations and the community at large.

The centers offer assistance for qualifying families with:

  • Utility payments (Note for Johnson County Wastewater customers: Furloughed federal employees who are not receiving paychecks may contact JCW to avoid late fees. Contact us by calling 913-715-8590.
  • Medical needs
  • Food pantries
  • Information and referrals

Please visit the Human Services Outreach Services webpage for further details.

You can also look into these resources:

United Way 2-1-1 lists resources specific to those affected by the federal shutdown.

Additionally, RideKC bus rides are free for any furloughed government workers. They only need to show their government ID in order to board for free. This applies to all RideKC bus routes serving Kansas City, Wyandotte County, Johnson County and Independence.



Sign up for monthly email updates from Johnson County