It is the policy of the BOCC to establish accounts, when appropriate and necessary, to track project-related revenues and expenditures. These project accounts, which may have financial transactions that occur in multiple fiscal years, shall be appropriated by the BOCC in a separate action or included in the annual budget adopted by the BOCC. Such funds are considered appropriated for a specific project and cannot be used for any other purpose unless the project is closed and the funds are re-appropriated. The BOCC shall review existing project accounts during the annual budget process.
A capital project account is for the construction, improvement, or acquisition of capital assets. A capital project account may have financial transactions that occur in multiple fiscal years.
A non-capital project account is for infrequent and/or unusual activities that may have financial transactions that occur in multiple fiscal years. These project accounts may or may not include on-going activities of the County. Examples include studies, asset replacement accounts (for assets that do not meet the definition of a capital asset, but are replaced less frequently than an annual basis), and other variable expenditures (such as costs for storm-related cleanup).
The BOCC is responsible for the authorization of all project accounts.
The County Manager is responsible for recommending the establishment of proposed project accounts. Recommendations may occur in the annual budget process or in a separate process.
The Director of Budget and Financial Planning is responsible for coordinating agency and department project account requests, and ensuring compliance with applicable state budget laws and County budgetary policies and procedures.
Elected officials, agency directors, and department directors are responsible for submitting, explaining, and justifying project account requests and for managing budgetary resources in a prudent manner.
Procedure 120.12 Project Accounts
- The County Manager or his/her designee(s) shall review existing project accounts on an annual basis. Elected officials, agency directors, and department directors shall explain and justify why existing project accounts should remain open if requested by the County Manager or his/her designee(s).
- The County Manager may close an existing project account if he/she feels the purpose of the project account has been completed. The County Manager or his/her designee(s) shall inform the elected official, agency director or department director of the County Manager's action.
- When an existing project account is closed, any remaining funds shall be returned to the original funding source(s) or to a debt service account if required by debt covenants.
- Project accounts shall be established by the County Manager or his/her designee(s) as approved by the BOCC in the annual operating budget and annual Capital Improvement Program (CIP).
- If it is necessary to request a new project account outside of the annual budget process, a request must be submitted to the Director of Budget and Financial Planning.
- Requests for new project accounts shall be submitted in a format determined by the Director of Budget and Financial Planning and shall include a complete explanation and justification of why the request is necessary. All requests must be submitted to the Director of Budget and Financial Planning no later than November 1st of each year. Any requests submitted after November 1st may be too late to be considered by the BOCC.
- The Director of Budget and Financial Planning and staff shall assist the County Manager in evaluating requests for new project accounts.
- If the County Manager determines that a request for a new project account is not necessary, he/she will advise the BOCC that a project account has been requested and denied. The County Manager or his/her designee(s) shall inform the elected official, agency director, or department director of the County Manager's decision.
- If the County Manager determines that a request for a new project account is necessary, the Director of Budget and Financial Planning shall prepare and submit an agenda item for BOCC consideration during a weekly business session. The BOCC shall act on requests for project accounts submitted outside of the annual budget process during a weekly business session by December 31st of each year.
- The Budget and Financial Planning Department shall maintain documentation for all approved project account requests.
Resolution No. 122-02
Revision Number: 015-14
Date of Last Review: Adopted 12-19-02, Revised 04-03-14