By the mid-1960s the 95th Street corridor was developing. Pastures and corn and soybean fields were being replaced by subdivisions and retail space. In the ten years since the Johnson County Library was founded in 1953, its population served had doubled to about 165,000. The Library needed to keep up with growth and follow the development of new neighborhoods. By 1965 planning for new and larger facilities was under way.