Facebook Social Icon Facebook Social Icon You Tube Social Icon
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Wastewater

Phone: 913-715-8500

11811 S. Sunset Drive, Suite 2500, Olathe, Kansas 66061

You are here

Engineering Public Projects: Tomahawk Creek Wastewater Treatment Facility Improvements

The Tomahawk Creek Wastewater Treatment Facility, located at 10701 Lee Boulevard in Leawood, was originally built in 1955. The facility treats wastewater from the Tomahawk Creek watershed, the Indian Creek watershed downstream of the Douglas L. Smith Middle Basin WWTF (Lower Indian Creek), and the Dykes Branch sub-watershed. It currently treats 7 million gallons per day, which is 40 percent of the wastewater collected from parts of Leawood, Olathe, Overland Park, and Prairie Village. The remaining 60 percent is currently sent to Kansas City, Mo., for treatment.

Current Status

Johnson County Wastewater is currently proceeding with the detailed design of the improvements recommended in the Preliminary Design Report, prepared during the project definition phase. It is anticipated that the project will utilize an alternate delivery construction approach. Award of the construction contract will occur in mid-2018, following the Kansas Department of Health and Environment's approval of final design documents. Work at the treatment facility is expected to be completed by the end of 2021.

The public will be updated throughout the entire process. Your input will be important as decisions are made, so please participate in future public meetings as well as continue to monitor this webpage for project updates.

Project Definition Phase

The Project Definition Phase of the expansion was recently completed and focused on the following tasks: refining the previously recommended improvements, project costs, and schedule; developing a conceptual level site plan to support public outreach efforts and site permitting; and negotiating and finalizing a discharge permit for the new facilities. The results of this effort are summarized in the Preliminary Design Report.

Process Improvements Pre-Design Study

Several studies were prepared to determine the future of the Tomahawk Creek Wastewater Treatment Facility. The Pre-Design Study evaluated various treatment alternatives and capacity scenarios using the latest user rate information and regulatory perspectives. The study identified $280 million in investments to expand the facility to 19 MGD as the most beneficial alternative.

Tomahawk Creek Wastewater Treatment Facility Improvements Fact Sheet

Section 1: Executive Summary
Section 2: TM 1 - Basis of Analysis
Section 3: TM 2 - Alternatives Identification & Development
Section 4: TM 3 - Alternatives Selection - Dry Weather Treatment
Section 5: TM 4 - Wet Weather Flow Evaluation & Alternative Definition
Section 6: TM 5 - Wet Weather Flow Alternatives Selection
Section 7: TM 6 - Combined Dry & Wet Weather Alternative Selection

Public Outreach

The project team has completed several public outreach meetings, including a presentation to the Leawood City Council on Feb. 1, 2016, and a public meeting on Mar. 22, 2016. A recommendation for the design phase of the project was presented to the Johnson County Board of County Commissioners (BOCC) on Mar. 31, 2016. At that time the BOCC directed JCW to execute the regulatory permit for the project and to bring forward an authorization for design of the recommended improvements. At its regular meeting on May 5, 2016, the Johnson County Board of County Commissioners unanimously approved authorization of funding for the design phase of the Tomahawk Creek Wastewater Treatment Facility expansion and upgrade. If you have any questions regarding the project, please contact Lori Sand, Johnson County Wastewater's Director of Communications at 913-715-8572.

Media Coverage

Tomahawk treatment plant takes step toward $280 million rebuild

Tomahawk Wastewater Treatment Facility gets green light from Johnson County Commission

Johnson County Wastewater proposes $280 million expansion of Leawood facility that treats some NEJC wastewater

New EPA guidelines to affect Tomahawk sewage treatment plant