Facebook Social Icon Instagram Icon Twitter Social Icon You Tube Social Icon


Phone: 913-715-8500

11811 S. Sunset Drive, Suite 2500, Olathe, Kansas 66061

You are here

Customer Service: Frequent Questions

Relation to Water Bill

Q: What is the difference between my water bill and wastewater bill?

A: Charges from Johnson County Wastewater are for the safe and efficient transport of wastewater from your home and the treatment of that water before returning it to area creeks, lakes, and rivers. Public water utilities bill you for the water that comes into your home for drinking, cooking, bathing, and watering your lawn.

Q: As a new customer, when will I receive my first bill? Will I get my water bill and wastewater bill at the same time?

A: Johnson County Wastewater’s billing statements will follow the public water utilities’ statements by three weeks.

Q: Why aren’t the water bill and wastewater bill combined?

A: Because Johnson County Wastewater is a separate utility that is not associated with any of the independently owned and operated water companies providing water service within our service district, it is necessary for us to send a separate billing statement. Johnson County Wastewater and the public water utilities are separate entities and are governed by different governmental bodies. If you have questions about your wastewater bill, please call 913-715-8590. If you have questions about your water bill, please contact your water company.

Fee Determination

Q: How are my sewer charges calculated?

A: Residential charges are determined by multiplying the annual volume of average winter water usage by the rate and adding the customer service charge [(Volume x Rate) + customer service charge = Amount]. This amount will be divided by 12 calendar months, which will give you your monthly charge. Since residential customers are billed bimonthly, your bill has two months' worth of wastewater charges.

Q: What is the Customer Service Charge for?

A: The Customer Service Charge recovers all administrative costs associated with an ongoing billing and collections system. All user classes are charged this fee.

Q: What is the average winter water use (AWWU)?

A: This is your average water usage during winter months based on meter readings. This is the best measure of the volume of drinkable water used at the property during the winter months that reasonably estimates the volume of wastewater discharged to the wastewater treatment facilities of Johnson County Wastewater. By using winter water usage, Johnson County Wastewater can accurately estimate the volume of wastewater discharged into the treatment facilities by each property. Winter water usage is used to avoid charging for heavier summer uses that do not impact the wastewater treatment system like watering your lawn and garden, washing your car, or filling your swimming pool.

Q: Which months will Johnson County Wastewater use to calculate my winter water usage?

A: The customer's average winter water use will be based on four of the six months between November and April, depending on the customer's billing cycle.

Q: I have a swimming pool. Will I have to pay for filling my pool?

A: Winter water usage is used in the wastewater bill calculation to avoid charging for usual heavier summer uses such as watering your lawn and garden, washing your car, or filling your swimming pool. If you don’t fill your swimming pool during the winter months, it won’t affect your water usage information for your wastewater bill. All of these water uses do not impact the wastewater treatment system.

Q: I just moved into a new house. How will my “average winter water use” be determined?

A: New customers moving from outside Johnson County Wastewater’s service area will be assigned a default value user charge that is equal to the average winter water use for all residential customers. If new customers provide Johnson County Wastewater with their previous account information, Johnson County Wastewater will calculate an appropriate average winter water use using the information provided. Johnson County Wastewater customers who move within the sanitary sewer district may request to transfer the average winter water use from their previous address.

Q: I leave my home for the winter. Must I pay a wastewater bill?

A: Yes, you will be invoiced based on the default value user charge or the average of your water use during the non-winter months, whichever is less.  The default is based on the average residential winter water use for all residential customers.  The default user charge is used when the average winter water use appears to be an inaccurate measure of average use, or a customer does not have winter water usage. If you feel that the periods used to calculate your winter water use are inaccurate or not a reflection of your usage, you are required to have and to maintain reasonable documents and records to reflect the use, by volume and strength, of the sewerage system. Please contact JCW Customer Service if you require further assistance.

Q: What if I had a water leak during the winter months and it was repaired, but the winter water usage on my wastewater bill doesn’t reflect the adjustment I received from the public water utility?

A: Please call the Johnson County Wastewater Customer Service Center at 913-715-8590 to report all billing issues.

Initiating Service

Q: Is a deposit required for wastewater service?

A: Currently, Johnson County Wastewater does not require a deposit for service.

Customer Service, Billing Process

Q: How often are the wastewater bills distributed?

A: Johnson County Wastewater bills are distributed every other month to residential properties and monthly to commercial and industrial customers. Look for billing statements in envelopes clearly marked with the Johnson County Wastewater logo and address.

Q: How long do I have to pay my bill?

A: The due date is 30 days from the statement date.

Q: How may I pay my bill?

A: Please visit Payment Options.

Q: What happens if I don’t pay my wastewater bill on time?

A: Bills will be due within 30 days of the billing date. A delinquent notice will be mailed five days after the due date if payment has not been received. The delinquent amount will be subject to the accrual of interest and a late fee.

Q: What do I do if I have a billing question or think there is an error on my bill?

A: Please call the Johnson County Wastewater Customer Service Center at 913-715-8590 to report all billing issues.

Renting & Selling

Q: If I rent, whose name will be on the account?

A: The name on the Johnson County Wastewater account will be the same as the name on the public water utility's account, unless Johnson County Wastewater is directed otherwise.

Q: Must I notify anyone at Johnson County Wastewater (for billing purposes) if I buy or sell a house?

A: Yes. Please call the Customer Service Center and inform them of all billing changes or fill out the reverse side of your payment stub on your final bill.

Alternate Savings

Q: I’m a senior citizen living on a fixed income. Am I entitled to a discount?

A: No. Please contact the Johnson County Department of Human Services to see if you are eligible for utility assistance with this bill. That number is 913-715-6653.

Q: I claimed an income tax deduction under the mill levy system. Can I continue to do so with this new wastewater billing system?

A: As a preliminary matter, please note that Johnson County does not provide tax advice to its customers regarding the deductibility or non-deductibility of its charges for federal or state income tax purposes, and advises customers to consult their CPA or other tax professional regarding proper treatment of such charges.

Q: Is anyone exempt from paying a user fee?

A: Yes, anyone not connected to Johnson County Wastewater’s sanitary sewer system will not pay a User Charge.

Q: Do I pay a user fee if I am on a septic tank system?

A: No. Septic tank users do not pay the User Charge because they are not connected to the sanitary sewer system.

Long Range Classifications

Q: What are the user classifications under the billing system?

A: There are six classifications:

  1. Residential (single-family dwellings)
  2. Multi-family residential (apartment complexes, duplexes, etc.)
  3. Small Commercial (wastewater discharge of 27,000 gallons per day or less)
  4. Large Commercial and Industrial (wastewater discharge of more than 27,000 gallons per day)
  5. Subscribers (wholesale customers such as other political units and municipal corporations within the Johnson County Wastewater Sewer District)
  6. Exempt (real estate property in the Johnson County Wastewater Sewer District are determined to be exempt from ad valorem taxes, but not from wastewater charges)

Q: My water bill is in cubic feet and my wastewater bill is in gallons. How do I convert from cubic feet to gallons?

A: There are 7.48 gallons per cubic foot (7.48 x cubic feet = gallons).

Q: What is the difference between storm water and wastewater?

A: Storm water is water from rain and other sources that drains into a street drainage system where it flows to streams and creeks. Storm water drainage systems help prevent flooding and bank erosion. These systems are typically maintained by the cities in Johnson County. Storm water services are provided by Johnson County Public Works in unincorporated areas of the county. Individual cities within the county provided storm water services for incorporated areas. Johnson County Wastewater does not provide storm water services. Wastewater is used water from homes and businesses. Johnson County Wastewater collects, transports, and treats wastewater before it is returned to streams and creeks.

Q: What is Johnson County Wastewater’s long-range rate plan for wastewater services?

A: As part of its strategic planning process, Johnson County Wastewater annually reviews its operations and plans rate adjustments accordingly, based on changes in the economy and prices for utilities and chemicals used in the operations of wastewater facilities. After a thorough examination by an industry leader in utility rate analysis, Johnson County Wastewater submits the Operation and Maintenance Budget and the user charge rates to the Johnson County Board of Commissioners (BOCC), for approval. JCW will continue to work closely with the BOCC to ensure the best interests and needs of customers are being addressed.