To calculate your building permit fee use the fee table below. The permit fee is based on valuation. With the adoption of the 2012 International Codes, as of May 13, 2013 the permit fee for plumbing, electrical, mechanical, and roofing can be calculated using the table below as well.
The plan review fee for all residential projects is $50.00, except, as of May 13, 2013, the plan review for new single familly dwellings residential projects will be $100.00. The plan review fee for commercial is 65% of the permit fee.
- $1.00 to $500.00 | Fee = $22.00
- $501.00 to $2,000.00 | Fee = $22.00 for the first $500.00 plus $2.75 for each additional $100.00, or fraction thereof, to and including $2,000.00
- $2,001.00 to $25,000.00 | Fee = $63.00 for the first $2,000.00 plus $12.50 for each additional $1,000.00, or fraction thereof, to and including $25,000.00
- $25,001.00 to $50,000.00 | Fee = $352.00 for the first $25,000.00 plus $9.00 for each additional $1,000.00, or fraction thereof, to and including $50,000.00
- $50,001.00 to $100,000.00 | Fee = $580.00 for the first $50,000.00 plus $6.25 for each additional $1,000.00, or fraction thereof, to and including $100,000.00
- $100,001.00 to $500,000.00 | Fee = $895.00 for the first $100,000.00 plus $5.00 for each additional $1,000.00, or fraction thereof, to and including $500,000.00
- $500,001.00 to $1,000,000.00 | Fee = $2,855.00 for the first $500,000.00 plus $4.25 for each additional $1,000.00, or fraction thereof, to and including $1,000,000.00
- $1,000,001.00 and up | Fee = $4,955.00 for the first $1,000,000.00 plus $2.75 for each additional $1,000.00, or fraction thereof.
Other Inspection and Fees:
- Inspections outside of normal business hours (minimum charge - two hours) | Fee = $50.00 per hour *
- Reinspection fees assessed under provisions of Section 108.8 | Fee = $50.00 per hour *
- Inspections for which no fee is specifically indicated (minimum charge - 1/2 hour) | Fee = $50.00 per hour *
- Additional plan review required by changes, additions or revisions to plans (minimum charge - 1/2 hour) | Fee = $50.00 per hour *
- For use of outside consultants for plan checking and inspections, or both | Fee = Actual Cost **
- Temporary Certificate of Occupancy extension requests for Commercial permits | Fee = $100.00 (beginning January 1, 2019)
* Or the total hourly cost to the jurisdiction, whichever is the greatest. This cost shall include supervision, overhead, equipment, hourly wages and fringe benefits of the employees involved.
** Actual costs include administrative and overhead costs.
A $50.00 plan review fee will be assessed for residential plans.
A $100.00 plan review fee will be assessed for new single family residential plans.
Commercial plan review is an additional 65% fee. (65% of building permit fee).
Calculate your own fee by using the table above or by trying one of these links (You can use either link to calculate the permit fee for your plumbing, electrical, mechanical, or roofing permit, most MEPR permits do not require a plan review fee):
Method payment accepted: Check*, Cash, or Credit Card**
*Make checks payable to: Johnson County Building Codes
**There will be a 2.4% service fee assessed to all credit card transactions