The Telecommunications Access Program (TAP) provides vouchers for specialized telephone equipment for Kansas residents with hearing, vision, speech, cognitive, or mobility disabilities/impairments that interfere with telecommunication use.
What is TAP?
TAP is the Telecommunications Access Program which provides vouchers that can be exchanged for specialized telephone equipment for Kansas residents with hearing, vision, speech, cognitive, or mobility disabilities/impairments that interfere with telecommunication use. TAP was established through the Kansas Corporation Commission (KCC) after the 1996 State Telecommunications Act. TAP is funded by the Kansas Universal Service Fund.
A demonstration site is available at the Deaf Cultural Center 455 East Park Olathe, KS 66061, 913-782-5828, and at the Mid-America Alliance for Access 626 Minnesota Ave. Suite 200. Kansas City, KS 66101 321-5140/V, 866-201-3829, 321-5216/TTY http://www.weloveaccess.org/kansas-location where they provide medical equipment, home modification resources, and information and advocacy for individuals with disabilities.
What types of phones are available?
- TTY text telephones for the deaf
- Amplified phones for persons who are hard of hearing
- Large-button phones for persons with low vision
- Braille phones for people who are blind
- Voice-activated phones for people with limited use of their hands
- Photo phones for people with memory loss
How do I know whether I qualify for TAP?
- You must be a Kansas resident.
- You must have telephone service in your home.
- You must have a certified disability.
- You must have a household income of less than $55,000 per year, plus a dependent allowance.
How do I apply for TAP?
You will need to fill out an application that includes a signature by your physician, ophthalmologist, audiologist, speech pathologist, vocational rehabilitation counselor, or optometrist.
Where do I get an application?
Applications are available by contacting the TAP office, or see http://atk.ku.edu/ks-tap to download and print an application.
Once your application has been approved, TAP will send you a voucher for an amount that will cover the cost of your phone. TAP will also include a list of approved vendors from whom you must order your equipment. The approved vendors will need your voucher for payment and will send you the phone you need.
How often may I apply for TAP?
Every four years.