Facebook Social Icon Twitter Social Icon You Tube Social Icon

You are here


JoCoRecycles: Recycling and Waste Reduction

frogRecycling is one of the easiest ways we can protect our environment. It’s just a hop, skip and a jump to put your recycling tub at the curb or take materials to a drop-off center. In Johnson County, we have worked very hard to increase our recycling rate from 23% to around the national recycling rate of 34%. But there is still a lot of work to do!! Challenge yourself, your neighbors, family and co-workers to beat the national recycling rate and make Johnson County a National leader in recycling and waste reduction.

Recycling at Work

Commercial Assistance and Waste Diversion Consulting Services 

Johnson County is committed to supporting and promoting waste diversion programs such as reduction, recycling, composting, etc. Whether you are establishing a new program, enhancing an existing one, incorporating composting, or even striving for Zero Waste, we are here to help you through the process. Dozens of our commercial partners are recycling and diverting more waste than ever, while realizing the benefits associated with having the guidance and resources provided by Johnson County.

How It Works

  1. Our expert staff provide free waste assessments to any business or organization within Johnson County.
  2. Staff provide you with recommendations and are available to assist with the implementation. We can assist in designing the program, including communications, training staff, as well as provide easy-to-follow signage.

We are ready to help you meet your goals! Fill our our simple online form and one of our consultants will be in touch with you. 

Commercial Assistance Program - Up to $500 in supplies

Any commercial property is eligable to receive up to $500 worth of materials to support a waste diversion project. Each commercial partner must complete a waste assessment by county staff prior to be eligable for financial assistance. Partners will submit an application and each request will be evaluated and approved by staff. Approved assistance will be given on a first come, first seve basis to partners based upon identified needs and recommendations by staff. SIGN UP NOW!

If you have any questions or would like more information, please email Sadie Gardner or call 913-715-6923.

Recycling Centers

There are more ways to recycle than just through a curbside collection program. You can take your materials to a community recycling drop-off center. There are several in the county:

Overland Park Recycling Drop-off Center
11921 Hardy (Just off 119th between Metcalf and Antioch)

Downtown Olathe Recycling Drop-off Center
Kansas Ave. and Poplar St. in the Farmer’s Market

East Olathe Recycling Drop-off
13600 S. Alden St. Near 135th and Black Bob in the NE corner of the Wal-Mart parking lot

West Olathe Recycling Drop-off
Parker and Santa Fe, north of the pharmacy drive-through in the Wal-Mart parking lot

Deffenbaugh Recycling Drop-off Center
I-435 and Holiday Drive at the Landfill entrance


recycle spot logoThe Mid-America Regional Council has a searchable database on their website for finding exactly where to take specific items. This site is for residents, businesses, schools, and contractors. It is searchable by material or city or county. It covers the Kansas City metropolitan area, both sides of the state line.  Visit RecycleSpot


Recycling in your City
Bonner Springs
Mission Hills
Mission Woods
Overland Park
Prairie Village
Roeland Park
Spring Hill


Resale Inspections

resale inspectionsA resale inspection is a procedure performed by a JCDHE Environmental Health Specialist to determine the functional status of a private sewage treatment system. It involves inspection of the indoor plumbing, the functional components of the system, lot site conditions, and a historical file review.

A resale inspection, performed prior to buying a property, can help you avoid expensive problems later. The functional status of a treatment system can be determined at the time of the inspection and can tell you if minor or major repairs are needed, as well as any recommended upgrades to the system.

If you are selling or refinancing your home, it is advisable to schedule a resale inspection. This should be done as far in advance of the closing date as possible to allow enough time to make any required repairs.

The Johnson County Environmental Sanitary Code requires that an inspection be performed within the first 60 days after a property is purchased, if the property is located in an area covered by the Code. All areas of Johnson County are covered except Overland Park, and within the city limits of De Soto, Gardner, and Edgerton.

Applying for a Resale Inspection

Before the process can be started, the application and current fee must be submitted to the Environment Division office. After the application and current fee have been submitted, the JCDHE Environmental Health Specialist contacts the applicant to set a time and date for the inspection. It is the applicant's responsibility to contact a licensed Johnson County Sanitary Disposal Contractor to pump out the septic tank. A list of Sanitary Disposal Contractors, also called pumpers, is located on this site.

Form You Need

  • Application for a Private Sewage System Resale Inspection

Find this form and the associated fee on the Forms and Fees page.

Preparing for the Inspection

The septic tank must be pumped out so that Environmental Health Specialist can make a thorough examination of the structural integrity of the tank and the components of the private sewage treatment system and ascertain its condition. The septic tank's condition will be noted in a report provided to you.

The main opening to the septic tank must be uncovered and available for pumping and inspection prior to the Environmental Health Specialist's arrival to the site.

Scheduling the Inspection

The Environmental Health Specialist schedules on a first-come-first-served basis. Generally, an inspection must be requested 8 hours in advance via application and fee submittal. As other inspections may already be scheduled, this advance notice helps to eliminate scheduling conflicts. The Environment Division's office hours are 8 am - 5 pm, Monday through Friday.

The applicant or a representative of the property must be available to provide access to the house so that the Environmental Health Specialist can examine all interior drain lines and water fixtures to ensure correct plumbing to the private sewage treatment system. Also, the Environmental Health Specialist can explain how the treatment system works and how to properly maintain it.

A resale inspection can usually be completed in one and one-half hours. The report of the results is usually available within 48 hours.

What If a Problem is Found

At the time of the inspection, the Environmental Health Specialist will explain their findings and a report will be sent to the applicant as soon as it is completed. If there are any repairs that need to be made, a proper permit must be issued by JCDHE and all repairs must be completed in compliance with the Johnson County Environmental Sanitary Code. Any work that is done to the private sewage treatment system must be done by a JCDHE-licensed installer. A list of licensed installer is available on this site.

Buyer/Seller Requirements

The requirements for buyers and sellers of residential property served by a private sewage treatment system are outlined in the Johnson County Environmental Sanitary Code. Here is a summary.Exchange of house keys

Buyers may order and pay for a resale inspection on the property. A recording fee for the System Use Permit is included with the application fee. If the buyer DOES purchase the property, the System Use Permit will be mailed to the address provided on the application.

Sellers may order and pay for a resale inspection on their property. The buyer of the property will still be responsible for paying a recording fee and obtaining a System Use Permit once the property ownership has transferred.

New Owners

If a person purchases a property served by a private sewage treatment system located in an area covered by the Code, they must apply for a System Use Permit within 60 days.  Upon payment of the appropriate fee and scheduling a licensed disposal contractor to pump the tank, the treatment system will be inspected by an Environmental Health Specialist. Once approved, a System Use Permit will be issued to the new property owner once the sale transaction is final.


Residential Haulers

Curbside Recycling

Johnson County is made up of many wonderful cities that all desire to help their residents dispose of trash, recyclables, and hazardous materials. Below are a list of cities with links to the appropriate pages on their websites. For more information check your city website or give them a call.

Bonner Springs | Edgerton | Fairway | Gardner | Leawood | Lenexa | Merriam | Mission | Mission Hills | Mission Woods | Olathe | Overland Park | Prairie Village | Roeland Park | Shawnee | Spring Hill | Westwood

All residential waste haulers are required to maintain a license from JCDHE.

 Licensed Residential Waste Haulers:


Residential Systems

Approximately 23% of all homes in the United States are served by private sewage treatment systems. There are approximately 9,000 private sewage treatment systems in Johnson County. The Residential On-Site Program issues permits for private sewage treatment systems where property owners are not served by a public wastewater collection system. This program oversees the construction of new private treatment systems and the repair or replacement of existing systems.

Sewage Treatment System Design

Private sewage treatment systems typically consist of two parts, the two-compartment septic tank and the soil absorption area or lateral field. The septic tank receives and provides primary treatment for the raw sewage. Primary treatment in the septic tank is the separation of liquids and solids. Three distinct layers are formed in the septic tank: the scum layer, sludge layer, and clear layer. More information.

Obtaining Installation Permit

Obtaining a permit to install a private sewage treatment system is a multi-step process involving applications, fees soil analysis, and inspections.

Application and Fee

A completed Soil Profile Analysis application and the current fee must be submitted by the lot owner or their authorized representative to start the permit process.  The application can be found under OnSite Forms in the left border of this page, titled Soil Profile Analysis.  The current fee can be found on the the Forms and Fees page.

Soil Profile Analysis

Once the  application and fee have been submitted, the soil profile analysis is performed by an Environmental Health Specialist on each lot prior to the design and construction of the private sewage treatment system. The purpose of the analysis is to determine the suitability of the soil for absorption and treatment of the effluent. The soil is analyzed to a depth of five feet. The properties of the soil, such as texture and structure, are determined as well as the depth of ground water, seasonal water table or bedrock.

A completed application, along with the fee, must be submitted by the lot owner or authorized representative before the analysis can be scheduled. The applicant is responsible for hiring a backhoe operator who will schedule the time of the analysis with the Environment Division and meet the environmental health specialist at the site. It is recommended that the homeowner and/or builder attend the meeting on site. The backhoe operator will dig as many pits as necessary, in appropriate locations, in order to find the best soil conditions on the existing lot. Soil samples are obtained from the pits for analysis and future reference, and the pits are backfilled by the backhoe operator.

The applicant will receive a letter containing the results of the analysis and stating the options for the type of private sewage treatment system that can be permitted for that particular lot.

Plan Review

When applying for a private sewage treatment system installation permit, a second application and fee must be submitted to our office.  This application is for the Installation Permit.  The application can be found under OnSite Forms in the right border of this page, titled New/Reconstructed Private System.  The fee can be found in the OnSite section of the Forms and Fees page.  Along with the application and fee, the following materials must be submitted for review:

  • A completed installation application, including the site address,
  • One set of house plans, and
  • A design plan for the treatment system

The design plan for the private sewage treatment system must be prepared by a installer or designer licensed by JCDHE or a licensed engineer. The design plan shall be drawn to scale, no greater than one inch equal to fifty feet (1" = 50'), and shall include, but not be limited to, the following information:

  • Location of the soil profile pits,
  • Size of lot, dimensions, and relative location of proposed or existing structures,
  • Proposed location of the treatment system, and
  • Proposed location of a replacement area for the system, consisting of at least 5,000 square feet.

The plan review will be conducted by an environmental health specialist.. The time required for the plan review will vary according to the type of sewage treatment system that has been designed. Most plan reviews can be completed within five days.

Permit for Installation

The permit to install a private sewage treatment system is issued after the plan review has been completed. The permit is approved by an Environmental Health Specialist prior to issuance to the homeowner or authorized representative.

The permit will contain the site address and specifications regarding the size and installation requirements for the private sewage treatment system. Additional specifications and requirements for the installation of private sewage treatment systems are included in the Johnson County Environmental Sanitary Code (Code).

The permit applicant will be contacted when the permit is ready. A permit fee must be paid at the time the permit is issued. House plans that were submitted for the plan review will be returned, and the applicant will receive two copies of the permit, one to post and one to submit to the appropriate building permitting agency.

Forms You Need

  • Soil Profile Analysis
  • Application to Install a New Private Sewage Treatment System or Significant Alterations to Existing System

Find both of these forms and the associated fees on the Forms and Fees page.

Finding a Sewage Treatment Professional

JCDHE licenses the individuals who design and install private on-site sewage treatment systems in the areas of Johnson County served by the Johnson County Environmental Sanitary Code.  JCDHE also licenses the disposal contractors, also known as pumpers, who pump and clean septic tanks and transport sewage to disposal sites. The licenses are renewed annually. These individuals are listed on this site for the convenience of system owners. JCDHE does not endorse any particular individual or company.

Resale of Property Containing a Sewage Treatment System

Another benefit of our program is the resale inspection. This is an inspection of the existing private sewage treatment system serving a residential property, which is required to be completed prior to a property being bought or sold. The buyer or seller may request the inspections. 


Safe Use and Alternatives

Safe Storage of Household Chemicals

The upkeep of a home usually involves different and multiple products containing hazardous chemicals. For the safety of people and the environment, safe use and storage is mandatory.

  • Keep products out of reach of children and petsboy and dog
  • Store hazardous products away from food items
  • Make sure lids are on tight and child-proofed, if possible.
  • Store corrosive, flammable, and poisonous products on separate shelves.
  • Do not mix products together in the same container.
  • Do not store products where they might freeze and possibly cause rupturing of the container.
  • Keep products in a dry area to prevent rust and possible leaking of the contents.
  • If label is falling off, tape it back on.
  • If label is missing, re-label container.
  • Keep products away from heat, sparks, flames, or sources of ignition such as hot water heaters and car engines.
  • Never put a hazardous product in a food or beverage container.

Always Read the Label

It is very important that you read the labels on products containing chemicals. Please put these points into practice:

  • Make sure you use the appropriate safety protection methods recommended on the product's label (e.g., wearing gloves, using respiratory protection)
  • Make sure you have read and understood the hazards of using the product. Look for signal words, such as Danger or Poison on the most hazardous products, Warning or Caution on less hazardous products.
  • Make sure you use the product only per label instructions.
  • Make sure the product is for consumer use. Do not use industrial-grade products in your home.
  • Make sure you can use the product in a safe location per label instructions (e.g., adequate ventilation, no open flames)
  • Make sure the label is always readable -- it contains very important first aid procedures.
  • Make sure the product is only used for its labeled purpose. For example, a pesticide labeled to kill fleas and ticks in the yard is not formulated to spray on a pet for pest control.
  • Make sure you dispose of the product per label instructions. In Johnson County, unwanted hazardous products can be taken to the Household Hazardous Materials Collections Facility.

Safer Alternatives to Household Hazardous Chemicals

Although the suggested mixtures have less hazardous ingredients than many commercial cleaners and pesticides, they should be used and stored with similar caution.

  • Bathroom Cleaner: Mix baking soda and water for an all purpose bathroom and kitchen cleaner. It will clean but not disinfect.Girl with globe
  • Deodorizer/Air Freshener: Simmer cinnamon and cloves. Put vinegar out in saucers.
  • Drain Cleaner: Use a plunger or a plumber's snake. Put equal parts baking soda and vinegar down the drain followed by boiling water.
  • Flea and Tick Control: Use a flea comb. Bathe pet regularly. Put brewer's yeast or garlic in pet food. Sprinkle fennel, rue, rosemary, or eucalyptus seeds or leaves around pet bedding.
  • Furniture Polish: Mix 2 parts vegetable oil and 1 part lemon juice.
  • Glass and Window Cleaner: Vinegar and water.
  • Lime and Mineral Deposit Remover: Soak faucets and shower heads in vinegar.
  • Metal Cleaner/Polish: Creme of tartar removes stains from aluminum cookware. Worcestershire sauce will clean and polish unlacquered brass. Toothpaste will clean tarnish off gold and silver (not silver plate). Vinegar and salt will clean copper.
  • Moth Balls: Cedar chips, lavendar flowers, rosemary, mint or white peppercorns.
  • Oven Cleaner: Clean spills as soon as the oven cools using steel wool and baking soda.
  • Pests: Boric acid will kill ants and roaches when spread liberally around points of entry. Should not be applied where children or pets are likely to come in contact with it.
  • Rat/Mouse Poison: Snap or live traps.
  • Rug Deodorizer: Sprinkle baking soda liberally on carpet, let sit and then vacuum.
  • Spot Cleaners: Club soda applied immediately. Wash as usual.


Schedule a Dropoff

Schedule an appointment to drop off unwanted household chemicals for free. We recycle paint and properly dispose of lawn chemicals, cleaning supplies, automotive products and much more. Johnson County Household Hazardous Waste facility is open year round by appoinment only and is free to Johnson County residents.

Map to Johnson County Household Hazardous Waste Facility

By Appointment Only: 
Schedule or modify an appointment

Note: There is no charge to use this drop off service. Johnson County residents only.

If you have questions about our HHW program call 913-715-6907.

5901 Jim Bills Road, Mission, KS 66203

Just off Foxridge Dr. and Lamar

Located within the Nelson Wastewater Treatment Plant 
Press the white call button to enter through the gate.

NOTE: The City of Olathe Household Hazardous Waste Facillity currently accepts items from all Johnson County residents. This may be a more convenient option if you live in southern Johnson County.

Monday, Wednesday, Thursday 8:00am - 3:00pm

Mobile pickup is available to homebound residents. Call 913-715-6907 for more information. 

FREE Store:
Shop for free at our FREE Store where you can find all sorts of good quality usable products for your next project or household need. And did we mention they are FREE. Items include but not limited to: oil, household cleaners, stains, and car care products.

Re-Blended Paint for Sale: We sell quality re-blended latex paint in 5 gallon buckets. For more information.

IMPORTANT!! There will continue to be NO CHARGE to drop off latex paint for recycling or for all other items from our FREE Store. These changes only apply to the recycled paint we redistribute.

Electronic Waste
For more information check out our electronics page.

Accepted Items:
Latex paint
Oil based paint and stains
Automotive products
Used motor oil (No Transformer Oil)
Gasoline and other solvents
Aerosol cans
Paint thinner and solvents
Cleaning products
Lead acid/Car batteries
Rechargeable batteries
Tires (4 per customer)
Fluorescent bulbs and tubes
Cooking oil
Pesticides, herbicides, and lawn care items
Propane (25 lb. max)
Arts and crafts items

Business and Non-Household Waste
We also accept waste from businesses, churches, and schools. Interested parties must apply and disposal fees will be assesed based on the type of chemical and current disposal methods. For more information.

Septic Systems

septic tankThe On-Site Sewage Treatment Systems Program protects the health and environment of Johnson County citizens by ensuring that on-site septic systems are properly designed and operated. The program inspects new residential and commercial on-site septic systems, existing commercial systems, and existing residential systems subject to property transactions. The program also investigates complaints about malfunctioning on-site septic systems.

2017 Fee Increase

The 2004 Johnson County Enviornmental Sanitary Code establishes that Johnson County Department of Health and Envionrment (JCDHE) has the authority to assess various user fees to cover program administartion and enforcement costs. View the 2017 fee increases.

Designers, Installers, and Pumpers

JCDHE licenses the individuals who design and install private on-site sewage treatment systems in the areas of Johnson County served by the Johnson County Environmental Sanitary Code.  JCDHE also licenses the disposal contractors, also known as pumpers, who pump and clean septic tanks and transport sewage to disposal sites. The licenses are renewed annually. These individuals are listed on this site for the convenience of system owners.  JCDHE does not endorse any particular individual or company.

Residential Systems

Approximately 23% of all homes in the United States are served by private sewage treatment systems. There are approximately 9,000 private sewage treatment systems in Johnson County. The Residential On-Site Program issues permits for private sewage treatment systems where property owners are not served by a public wastewater collection system.

A copy of the Johnson County Environmental Sanitary Code can be found on our Forms and Fees page

Resale Inspections

Another benefit of our program is the resale inspection. This is an inspection of the existing private sewage treatment system serving a residential property, which is required to be completed prior to a property being bought or sold. The buyer or seller may request the inspections.

Commercial/Industrial Systems

The Commercial/Industrial On-Site Program issues permits to install and operate non-residential septic systems where property owners are not served by a public wastewater collection system. There are about 400 entities subject to regulations under this program including businesses, government agencies, institutions, and others.

Maintaining Your System

Care of the septic system:

  • Have your tank pumped, by a licensed pumper, based on the size of the tank and the number of people in your home
  • After your initial pumping, work with the pumper to determine how often your tank should be pumped (usually every 3 to 5 years)
  • NEVER enter the septic tank as there could be dangerous gases
  • Inspect your lateral field and septic system area regularly
  • If repairs are needed, contact a licensed installer.  A permit from JCDHE will be required in most cases
  • Contact JCDHE prior to any building additions, fencing, decking, exterior buildings or alterations to your property

Conserve water:

  • Use your garbage disposal sparingly
  • Spread out water usage during the day
  • Spread out laudry during the week
  • Repair leaky faucets and valves
  • Use water conservation fixtures

Do not put these items down the drain or toilet:

  • Wet wipes- even flushable 
  • Bones
  • Motor oil
  • Pesticides
  • Poisons
  • Solvents
  • Tampons
  • Condoms
  • Degreasers
  • Chemicals
  • Paint
  • Sand
  • Glass
  • Metal
  • Kitty litter
  • Egg shells
  • Fats, Oils or Grease
  • Coffee grounds


  • Do not park equipment or vehicles such as cars or motorhomes on the lateral field
  • Do not allow livestock onto the lateral field
  • Do not plant trees or vegetables on the lateral field
  • Direct downspouts and rainwater away from the lateral field

Solid Waste



Solid Waste Mgmt Plan


In carrying out its solid waste management duties, the Environment Division  inspects, monitors, and conducts other oversight activities pertaining to all solid waste management facilities in the County. The Department also assures investigation and proper cleanup of illegal solid waste dumps in the County and serves as staff support to the County's Solid Waste Management Committee.

It's Not the Dump Anymore

Today's landfills that take household waste and garbage are called Municipal Solid Waste (MSW) Landfills. The Johnson County Landfill is a MSW landfill and one of the largest private landfills in the country. The main requirements for the Resource Conservation Recovery Act (RCRA) Subtitle D regulations include the following:

  • Hydrogeological site evaluation to determine subsurface conditions.
  • Construction of a geocomposite liner system for the base of the landfill.
  • Construction of a leachate collection system to collect all fluids that contact solid waste.
  • Develop and implement a program to exclude any regulated hazardous waste and PCB/s from entering the landfill area.
  • Develop and implement a gas monitoring program to measure methane gas inside the facility structures and at the landfill perimeter boundaries.
  • Develop and implement a surface water drainage program to prevent flow of water onto the landfill's active face and be capable of collecting water runoff from the active face during a 24-hour, 25-year storm event.
  • Maintain survey controls throughout the landfill area.
  • Maintain record keeping for a variety of activities related to the landfill operations.
  • Establish and maintain groundwater monitoring systems including sampling and data analysis, detection and assessment monitoring, and corrective action.
  • Develop and update closure and post closure plans related to the eventual closing of each area and the 30-year monitoring of the area after final closure.

The JCL is in compliance with the KDHE and JCDHE regulations and is inspected at least quarterly by JCDHE and semi-annually by KDHE.

The Solid Waste Management Code

Johnson County Code of Regulations for Solid Waste Management 2010 Edition

Brochure on the Solid Waste Management Code: Planning for Our Future

The Solid Waste Management Plan

In Kansas, counties are responsible for solid waste planning. In Johnson County, solid waste planning takes place through the Johnson County Solid Waste Management Committee (SWMC) which develops a solid waste management plan (SWMP). The Board of County Commissioners (BOCC) formally adopts the SWMP after a required public hearing.  As required by Kansas law, the SWMC and the BOCC review the plan annually. The plan must be approved by KDHE to become official.

Johnson County Solid Waste Management Plan 2013 edition

The complete current 2007 plan and its updates can be downloaded from these links.

The Complete Johnson County Solid Waste Management Plan
Appendices A - P
Appendix Q (2009 update)
Appendix R (2010 update)

Solid Waste Disposal Facility and Processing Facility Permitting

Anyone wanting to operate a solid waste disposal facility or a processing facility in Johnson County must be permitted. The Environment Division accepts permit applications for:

  • Sanitary Landfills
  • Waste Processing Facilities
  • Tree and Brush Landfills
  • Solid Waste Transfer Stations
  • Materials Recovery Facilities
  • Composting Facilities
  • Industrial, Demolition and/or Construction Landfills

Find application forms for landfill operation on the Forms and Fees page.

Illegal Dumping

furniture dumped on side of roadIllegal dumping complaints in Johnson County are handled through JCDHE and/or the Johnson County Planning, Development and Codes Office. The Johnson County Public Works Department also handles illegal dumping complaints for solid waste found along the county unincorporated roadway easements.

JCDHE follows the Johnson County Code of Regulations for Solid Waste Management (2010 Edition)  when investigating the dumping complaints. These regulations and resolutions are available by contacting the Environment Division at (913) 715-6900.

Examples of illegal dumping complaints include:

  • trash and wood debris brought in from off site
  • orphaned containers such as one-gallon, five-gallon, or even 55-gallon drums
  • waste tires
  • household waste
  • construction/demolition debris

If you witness illegal dumping occurring, please contact 9-1-1 and report the activity. If you observe illegally dumped solid waste, please report the dumpsite by calling our office at 913-715-6900 or completing the online form for environmental pollution.

SW Management Committee

Key Elements in the 2013 Solid Waste Management Plan:

  1. Promote expansion of the existing commercial recycling infrastructure through education and awareness.
  2. Work closely with the reuse and repurposing industry, regional haulers, recyclers and public officials to increase reuse and recovery of renovation, construction and demolition waste materials.
  3. Work with the cities, homeowners associations, the unincorporated areas, and the private sector to increase residential participation in recycling.
  4. Continue to coordinate education efforts through public private partnerships.
  5. Provide a leadership role for solid waste reduction in the County. Lead by example by reviewing County operations to identify and implement waste reduction opportunities.
  6. Coordinate with nearby county and regional partners in evaluating and implementing waste reduction strategies.
  7. Seek stable funding for reduction programs.
  8. Conduct, where appropriate and where County resources allow, cost benefit analysis of future solid waste reduction programs.

Committee Information

The Solid Waste Management Committee meets bi-monthly to discuss solid waste issues and oversee the Solid Waste Management Plan.

Solid Waste Management Committee Members

Ms. Ruth Hopkins, Chairperson, Cities of the First Class
Mr. Dave Drovetta, Vice-Chairperson, Cities of the Second Class
Mr. Daniel Jones, Private Industry
Ms. Kaye Johnston, Cities of the Third Class
Mr. Jim Murray, Private Industry
Ms. Maril Crabtree, Cities of the Second Class
Ms. Megan England, Cities of the Second Class
Ms. C. Elaine Giessel, Citizen Organization
Mr. Scott Martin, Private Industry
Ms. Lisa McDaniel, Cities of the First Class
Mr. Raymond Manley, General Public
Ms. Maggie Roby, Cities of the First Class
Mr. Kent Seyfried, Cities of the First Class
Mr. Don Siefert, Cities of the First Class
Ms. Sarah Crooks, Unincorportated Area


Meetings will be held according to the posted schedule, starting at 6:00 pm with a light dinner, followed by the formal meeting at 6:30 pm.

2017 Meeting Schedule

January 11, 2017- CANCELLED
March 8, 2017
May 10, 2017
July 12, 2017
September 13, 2017
November 8, 2017

Summaries of Past Meetings

(Summaries of past meetings can be obtained by calling 913-715-6915)


(Past meeting agendas can be obtaind by calling 913-715-6915)

Swimming Pools

swimmingThe purpose of the swimming pool inspection program is to protect, promote, and preserve the health, safety and general welfare of the public by providing for the establishment and enforcement of minimum standards for safety, cleanliness, and general sanitation for all swimming pools, spa pools, beaches, and public bathing places now in existence or hereafter constructed or developed, and to provide for inspection and licensing of all such facilities.

Inspection Jurisdiction

Johnson County Health and Environment inspects public and semi-public swimming pools, spas, and beaches in cities that have adopted the Johnson County Environmental Sanitary Code. These cities are Leawood, Lenexa, Merriam, Mission, Olathe, Prairie Village, Roeland Park, Shawnee, Spring Hill, Stilwell, and Westwood. JCDHE has no authority to inspect swimming facilities located in cities not listed here. If you have concerns and your city is not listed, contact your city government.

A copy of the Johnson County Environmental Sanitary Code can be found on our Forms and Fees page

InspectionsPool Inspector

Swimming facilities are inspected year round. There are currently more than 300 public and semi-public swimming facilities that are permitted and inspected in Johnson County. JCDHE performs routine inspections.


Submit a complaint or concern using our online complaint form, so our staff can investigate the issue.

Annual Permitting

Permitting for public or semi-public swimming pools, spas, and bathing beaches covers operation from April 1 to March 31. Every year permit applications are mailed to every facility having a pool, spa and/or wading pool that requires licensure. Every licensed establishment requires supervision by at least one licensed operator.

All public or semi-public swimming pools, pool spas, beaches, or public bathing places must obtain an annual operating permit no later than April 1st of each year.  Permit applications are mailed to the facilities by March 1st of each year.  Permits are valid for one year and are not transferable to new owners.

If a public or semi-public swimming facility does not renew by April 1st or is found to be operating without a current license, then the facility will be required to pay an amount equal to twice the normal annual permit fee.

If multiple pools are located at different addresses but are considered part of one complex, each pool must submit an application, pay the annual permit fee, and obtain a separate license.

Steps to a Successful Permit or Renewal Process

  • Fill out the permit application completely.
  • Submit the permit application by mail, along with the correct fee, by April 1st of each year,  A separate application and fee is required for pools with different addresses.
  • Ensure a currently licensed pool operator is listed on the application.

Things to Remember

Once you've received your permit for the coming year, there are important things to remember to ensure the safety of swimmers.

  • If the pool operator changes at any time, notify the Environment Division immediately.
  • Prior to opening, make sure the pool, pumps, filters, all safety equipment, signage, and chemicals are ready for use and in operating condition.
  • Notify the Environment Division of any changes to the pool or pumps.
  • Close the pool if any imminent health, water quality or safety issues are present in the pool.

What Happens to Waste

A lot of stuff is brought to the Philip J. Wittek Hazardous Materials Collection Facility. Some of it is offered free to the public through our product redistribution program. Other Items are disposed of through various environmentally responsible means.

Antifreeze is reprocessed by a local company. You can also dispose of antifreeze through your household sanitary sewer system, unless you are on a septic tank system. You should NEVER dispose of antifreeze in the storm sewer. It is ethylene glycol and is very toxic unless treated at a wastewater treatment plant.

BatteriesCar battery
Lead Acid (vehicle) batteries and rechargeable batteries are recycled. Alkaline batteries commonly used in products such as flashlights, toys, and pagers can be disposed of in the trash.

Latex Paint
Latex paint is not hazardous but is the most common product received at our Site. Good paint is used in our latex paint recycling program. Latex paint can be solidified with clay type kitty litter and thrown in the trash. Re-blended latex paint is available to the community groups, organizations, and the public.

Oil-based Paint, Solvents, Stains, Thinners
Bulked flammable liquids are reused as a fuel in cement kilns.

Non-hazardous Materials
GlueExamples of nonhazardous materials are alkaline batteries, caulk tubes, cement, solidified adhesives, glues, crack sealers and latex paint, rock salt, solid bacterial and enzyme drain cleaners, and some cleaning products such as laundry and dishwashing detergent. Some of these products are available for use through our product redistribution program. Many of these materials are disposed of in the municipal waste stream.

Poisons, Corrosives, Acids, Aerosols
These are disposed of by incineration or neutralized. Material is picked up by a hazardous waste contractor. Our current contractor is Philips Services Corporation which has a local office in Kansas City.

Propane Tanks
These are available to the public through our product redistribution program.Old tires

Tires are recycled through a local tire collection service for reuse or energy recovery.

Motor oilUsed Oil
Used oil is reprocessed by a local oil recycling company. You can also take your used oil to various local Jiffy Lubes, Valvoline Instant Oil Change stores, and NAPA Auto Parts stores.


Find out how you can get usable products for FREE!


Yard Waste & Composting

Recycle your Lawn

Leave it all on the lawn. Not only do grass clippings and leaves help retain moisture, they also return up to 25% of the nutrients back into the soil. University research recommends that you mulch your leaves and grass clippings using a mulching mower. By "grass-cycling" properly your lawn will look great and you can save money on feritilizing.

  • Johnson County K-State Research and Extension recommmends mowing right over leaves with a mulching mower. Proper mulch mowing of leaves and grass clippings can save you time and help your lawn.
  • Mow your lawn frequently and with up to one inch of fallen leaves at a time. The finely chopped leaves filter into the soil and breakdown over the winter into compost.
  • Through mulch mowing in the fall, you can incorporate up to six inches of leaves into your lawn without concern.
  • Dumping leaves in the storm drains or near streams can block the flow of water, cause flooding, and contribute to water quality problems. It is illegal to put anything other than clean rainwater down a storm drain. 


Compost in your backyard! Turn your grass clippings, leaves, and kitchen scraps into usable compost. For more great tips and videos check out Johnson County K-State Research and Extension.

Yard Waste Drop-Off Locations

Drop off your yard wastte at these compositing facilities. No plastic bags allowed. See their websites for more specific details.

Suburban Lawn and Garden
139th and Wyandotte, Kansas City, MO
(816) 941-2438

Deffenbaugh Industries*
I-435 and Holiday Drive, Shawnee, KS
(913) 631-3300

*Deffenbaugh has a permitted composting facility for yard waste within the property of the landfill and yard waste must be separate from trash and in compostable bags.

Planet Marrs Recycling
2701 Roe Lane, Kansas City, KS (I-35 and Roe)
(913) 888-0539

City of Olathe Composting (FOR OLATHE RESIDENTS ONLY)
127th and Hedge Lane, Olathe, KS
(913) 971-9311

Curbside Pickup

Contract with your waste hauler to collect yard waste curbside for composting. View a list of licensed residential haulers.

More Info

Johnson County K-State Research and Extension are your expert resource for lawn and garden information. They can provide fact sheets, videos, and a gardening hotline to help you solve all your lawn and garden challenges.


Environmental Complaints

Business hours for our office are 8am-5pm Monday-Friday.

If you believe the incident requires immediate response outside of business hours, but is not life-threatening, report it by calling our 24-hour response service at (913) 715-6900 and following the prompts in the message.

If you believe the incident is life-threatening, please call 9-1-1.

If the incident involves a chemical or petroleum product spill, gasoline odors inside buildings, or natural gas odors, please call 9-1-1.

We can only respond to swimming pool complaints if the facility is located within Leawood, Lenexa, Merriam, Mission, Olathe, Prairie Village, Roeland Park, Shawnee, Spring Hill, Stilwell, and Westwood.

Note: No personal information will be released. If you choose not to enter your name please enter "No Name". Providing your contact information as well as an address where the incident occurred are required for us to respond to this complaint. Your information will not be shared.

Submit an Enviromental Concern:

Please provide your preferred form of contact, either email address or phone number. This information will not be shared.
Providing an accurate location is necessary for us to respond to this issue. This can be a street address, cross streets, or a business name.

Please provide a detailed description so that we can respond appropriately.

Enter the characters shown in the image.

Upcoming Events

| View All
May 29, 2017 | 8:00 am to 5:00 pm

JCDHE Closed on Memorial Day

May 31, 2017 | 10:00 am to 6:30 pm

Walk-in Health Clinic Hours

June 7, 2017 | 10:00 am to 6:30 pm

Walk-in Health Clinic Hours

June 10, 2017 | 8:00 am to 11:30 am

Household Hazardous Waste & Electronic Recycling Event

June 14, 2017 | 10:00 am to 6:30 pm

Walk-in Health Clinic Hours