Key Elements in the 2013 Solid Waste Management Plan:
- Promote expansion of the existing commercial recycling infrastructure through education and awareness.
- Work closely with the reuse and repurposing industry, regional haulers, recyclers and public officials to increase reuse and recovery of renovation, construction and demolition waste materials.
- Work with the cities, homeowners associations, the unincorporated areas, and the private sector to increase residential participation in recycling.
- Continue to coordinate education efforts through public private partnerships.
- Provide a leadership role for solid waste reduction in the County. Lead by example by reviewing County operations to identify and implement waste reduction opportunities.
- Coordinate with nearby county and regional partners in evaluating and implementing waste reduction strategies.
- Seek stable funding for reduction programs.
- Conduct, where appropriate and where County resources allow, cost benefit analysis of future solid waste reduction programs.
The Solid Waste Management Committee meets bi-monthly to discuss solid waste issues and oversee the Solid Waste Management Plan.
Solid Waste Management Committee Members
Ms. Ruth Hopkins, Chairperson, Cities of the First Class
Mr. Dave Drovetta, Vice-Chairperson, Cities of the Second Class
Mr. Daniel Jones, Private Industry
Ms. Kaye Johnston, Cities of the Third Class
Mr. Jim Murray, Private Industry
Ms. Maril Crabtree, Cities of the Second Class
Ms. Megan England, Cities of the Second Class
Ms. C. Elaine Giessel, Citizen Organization
Mr. Scott Martin, Private Industry
Ms. Lisa McDaniel, Cities of the First Class
Mr. Raymond Manley, General Public
Ms. Maggie Roby, Cities of the First Class
Mr. Kent Seyfried, Cities of the First Class
Mr. Don Siefert, Cities of the First Class
Ms. Sarah Crooks, Unincorportated Area
Meetings will be held according to the posted schedule, starting at 6:00 pm with a light dinner, followed by the formal meeting at 6:30 pm.
2017 Meeting Schedule
January 11, 2017- CANCELLED
March 8, 2017
May 10, 2017
July 12, 2017
September 13, 2017
November 8, 2017
Summaries of Past Meetings
- September 14, 2016
- July 13, 2016
- March 9, 2016
- January 13, 2016
- November 18, 2015
- September 9, 2015
- July 8, 2015
(Summaries of past meetings can be obtained by calling 913-715-6915)
(Past meeting agendas can be obtaind by calling 913-715-6915)