Johnson County Wastewater staff will present a five year Capital Improvement Plan to the Board of County Commissioners in a Committee of the Whole Session at 1 p.m., Thursday, Apr. 28. The presentation will address plant and sewer expansions, as well as permit/regulatory projects and renewal/replace for 2017-2021. JCW operates and maintains more than 5,600 assets at seven plants and 31 pump stations. JCW also operates and maintains 2,200 miles of pipe and 56,000 manholes.
One of those JCW projects to be discussed is the Tomahawk Creek Wastewater Treatment Facility expansion and upgrade. The plant, located at 10701 Lee Boulevard in Leawood, was originally built in 1955. More than 60 years later, times have changed and so have the needs of the facility. New water quality regulations require upgrades to the existing Tomahawk Creek facility to improve water quality in Indian Creek and downstream waters.
The Tomahawk facility currently treats seven million gallons per day, 40 percent of the wastewater collected from parts of Leawood, Olathe, Overland Park and Prairie Village. The remaining 60 percent is currently sent to Kansas City, Mo., for treatment. In 2016, $17 million was budgeted for payments to Kansas City, Mo. The cost to continue sending flow and paying Kansas City for treatment will substantially increase because of the city's $4.5 billion planned infrastructure improvements over the next several decades.
Johnson County Wastewater has studied how to accomplish two goals in the most cost-effective manner:
- Meeting new water quality regulations requiring upgrades to the existing treatment facility.
- Confirm a previous study recommendation to expand the Tomahawk Creek Wastewater Treatment Facility and discontinue sending flow to Kansas City, Mo.
The study recommended investing to expand the Tomahawk Creek Facility to treat all flow as the most cost-effective, long-term solution.
At its regular meeting on May 5, the Board will consider authorization of funding for the second phase of the project – the design phase – for $21,387,000. Black & Veatch was awarded the $280 million project in 2014.
Please visit www.jocogov.org/dept/wastewater/engineering/public-projects/tomahawk-creek-wastewater-treatment-facility for project details and updates.
The public may view Board meetings and Committee of the Whole sessions online at http://lims.jocogov.org/sirepub/meetresults.aspx?pagetype=broadcast.