The Johnson County Department of Health and Environment, in cooperation with the Johnson County Library, encourages residents to take precautions during this week’s extreme heat. Those who need a place to cool down may visit one of Johnson County’s 13 library branches during normal business hours.
JCDHE recommends the following to stay safe in the heat:
- Drink more fluids (non-alcoholic), regardless of your activity level. Check with your doctor if you have restrictions related to fluid intake.
- Stay indoors and, if at all possible, stay in an air-conditioned place. If your home does not have air conditioning, go somewhere cool — even a few hours spent in air conditioning can help your body stay cooler when you go back into the heat.
- Avoid leaving children and/or pets alone inside vehicles even for a few minutes since the temperature inside vehicles can rise rapidly once the air conditioning is off.
- Electric fans may provide comfort, but when temperatures are in the high 90s, fans will not prevent heat-related illness.
- Wear lightweight, light-colored, loose-fitting clothing.
- If you must be out in the heat, limit your outdoor activity to morning and evening hours.
- Exercise in an air-conditioned place and drink two to four glasses of cool, non-alcoholic fluids each hour. A sports drink can replace the salt and minerals you lose in sweat.
- If you have to be outside, try to rest often in shady areas.
- Protect yourself from the sun by putting on sunscreen of SPF 15 or higher and wear a wide-brimmed hat and sunglasses.
Although anyone at any time can suffer from heat-related illness, some are at greater risk than others. Be sure to check regularly on:
- People aged 65 or older.
- People taking certain medications, including narcotics, sedatives and diuretics.
- Athletes who are not used to working out in warm environments.
- People who work outside.
- People who have a mental illness or are physically ill, especially with heart disease, high blood pressure or diabetes.
For residents needing a cool location, check library hours which vary by location. Call 913-826-4600 for hours of operation for your nearest library branch, or visit the website at jocolibrary.org/locations.