With the start of each new year comes the promise of a fresh start, which is why so many of us resolve to make positive changes in the coming year. Just under half (about 44%) of Americans make New Year’s resolutions, according to Pew Research Center. Some of the most common resolution themes each year include: losing weight, increasing fitness or overall health; making better financial choices; and enjoying life to its fullest. Johnson County Government can help you keep your New Year’s resolution! Here are some ideas to help you stay on track.
Losing weight, increasing fitness or overall health
- Take advantage of Mill Creek Activity Center’s flexible punch card system. Purchase a 10- or 20-visit punch card (each visit to the facility counts as one punch) and use the weight room, cardio equipment and/or indoor track. No long-term contract needed! Visit Johnson County Park & Recreation District’s website for more info.
- Swim your way fit at Roeland Park Aquatic Center! Purchase an annual pass, 5-, 10- or 20-visit punch card to the center for a low-impact, full-body workout. Click here for hours and admission details.
- Get fit with friends through JCPRD’s group fitness classes. From fitness boxing to pilates to yoga and more, JCPRD offers a variety of group fitness classes at multiple facilities around the county. Check out JCPRD’s January through April 2017 catalog for more info.
Enjoying life to its fullest
- Learn a new hobby, like pottery or beginning guitar, through JCPRD or refine your horticulture skills through Johnson County K-State Research and Extension’s classes on topics like the ins and outs of lawn fertilization and vegetable gardening 101.
- Obtain a more fulfilling job. Working for Johnson County Government is not only a great way to serve the public and feel good about what you do, but we offer competitive pay and benefits, too. Check out current job openings on the jobs page of jocogov.org, which includes links to job openings for Johnson County Park and Recreation District as well as the Sheriff's Office.
- Learn a new computer program or skill. With your Johnson County Library card, you get free access to lynda.com, which provides online video training taught by experts! Learn more on the Library's website.
- Visit somewhere new through the 50 Plus travel program! The program offers organized trips to places across the metro and across the globe — 2017 international destinations include Croatia, Slovenia and the Adriatic Coast, South Africa and more! For more info, visit the 50 Plus travel page on JCPRD’s website.
- Revive your inner bookworm with help from the Johnson County Library. Get a personalized list of book recommendations based on book titles or authors you like. Click here to request your personalized list.