The preliminary timeline identifies numerous actions to be taken before groundbreaking occurs:
- Nov. 8 – voters approve Public Safety Sales Tax
- Dec. 9 - Johnson County Board of County Commissioners adopt a resolution to levy the additional one-fourth cent sales tax countywide for a period of 10 years, beginning on or about April 1, 2017.
- The Board to amend the county's Capital Improvement Program to include the courthouse and coroner facility projects and authorize the projects.
- The Public Building Commission to approve the projects and sell bonds.
- The Facilities Department to issue two request for proposals (RFP) for professional services to start the project work and to have an owner’s representative and a criteria consultant onboard by the first quarter 2017.
- Selection of the design-build team during the second half of 2017.
- Early 2018, conduct public engagement regarding the design.
- First quarter 2018, begin construction.
- Complete construction by end of 2020 and occupy the building in early 2021.