While it’s important to protect senior citizens every day of the year, World Elder Abuse Awareness Day (June 15) provides an opportunity for communities to promote a better understanding of abuse and neglect of older persons by raising awareness of the cultural, social, economic and demographic processes affecting elder abuse and neglect.
Several Johnson County departments, agencies and offices work hard to help make life safe, comfortable and invigorating for our area seniors. Below is a sampling with links to more information.
- The Johnson County District Attorney’s office White Collar Crime Unit specializes in protecting senior citizens from internet fraud, exploitation, identity theft and similar crimes.
- The Johnson County Area on Aging advocates for an assists older adults in maintaining their independence and dignity through community-based services.
- As part of Johnson County Mental Health, Aging Services provide individual and group counseling to those 60 and older. Outreach mental health services are available to the frail elderly residing in a long term care setting and to homebound seniors.
- The Senior Services offered through our Department of Health and Environment include home visits by registered nurses, blood pressure checks, senior wellness classes and more.
- Johnson County Park & Recreation District’s 50 Plus program is the area’s leading provider of recreation and leisure activities for older adults.
- Our free publication The Best Times is the best way to keep updated on news, services and programs for Johnson County senior citizens.